Can't access external disk after reboot

Hi,
I have an HP RX4640 running HP-UX 11iv3 with two internal disks and its connected to a HP disk system 2400 with fibre cable.
If the storage system is online before the server is on then the server can't find the disks. And I get the following error messages:
vgchange: Warning: Couldn't attach to the volume group physical volume "/dev/dsk/c4t0d0"
cgchange: Couldn't activate volume group "/dev/vg01", Quorum not present, or some physical volume(s) are missing.

vgchange: Couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c4t0d0"
vgchange: Couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c4t1d0"
vgchange: Couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c4t2d0" etc...

The volume group is not activated

The path of the physical volume refers to a device that does not exist, or is not configured in the kernel.

If I power off/on the DS2400 when the server is online and performs an ioscan -fnC disk, then it finds the disks and I am able to activate the volume group.

When I look in /etc/fstab the mounting point is missing but it didn't help to add this.

Really could use some help before I begin to reinstall HP-UX

Thx in advance
/Hoff

hello,

i had the same problem, i fixed it with a little startup script.

First try to:

Reboot the HP - UX machine. (keep ur storage running)
then it wont find the Fibre Channel Disks.

Try just an IOSCAN.
and then look with ioscan -funC disk if the Storage Disks are available.
If they are available after a ioscan and you are able to do a vgchange -a y vgxx, just put a little script in your /sbin/rc3.d/

i called it S101ioscan_startup.sh -->
ioscan > /dev/null
vgchange -a y vgxx > /dev/null

and then link this file to /sbin/init.d

then try a reboot and look if the discs are available.

it tryed it often and it works all the time :wink:

sorry for my bad english i hope you are able to understand everything.

have a nice day..

msd

Thx for your reply, but my problem is that if the disk system is powered on when I power on the server or reboots the server then no disks is found at the disk system. Not even after an ioscan. But if I power off/on the disk system while the server is on and performs an Ioscan after then all disks are found.
It's very strange but could it be some cofiguration files that are faulty?

>Not even after an ioscan
But what ioscan are you talking about?
ioscan is not the same as ioscan -funCdisk (the first rescan all the hardware, not the second...)

So before looking forward, as suggested, reboot with your disk subsystem up, perhaps go single user then init 2 then do an ioscan, the ioscan -funC disk and see if you see your disks now. config files wont help if you dont succeed here

Next, are you in cluster?

In cluster the vg are in exclusive mode and so are not activated automatically, If you were and no more then update /etc/lvmrc file to automatically activate those VGs

All the best