cannot telnet/ftp to solaris machine by straight cable makes problem ..

Hi All,

1. modify /etc/default/login file as

make commented # console=

2.put my laptops ip at both

/etc/inet/ipnodes and /etc/host file

still i can login via telnet/ftp through a DB9-serial cable, but when i tried
through a lan stratight cable directly connected that machine to my laptop;
cannot do. this is ultra A25 machine runned with solaris10.

please makes me ensure , where i am wrong. i am a newbie here.. I also got another suggestion as follows. is this okay?

-------------------------------------
By default , the solaris inetd deamon does not log the IP address of the machines that are connecting to Solaris Server . To enable the logging of all the IP addresses of machines connecting to the server and the connection time the following changes can be incorporated

1. cd /etc/init.d

2. vi inetsvc

3. Change the last line in the file, ie
    /usr/sbin/inetd -s &
    to /usr/sbin/inetd -s -t &

4. Stop and Start that script

./inetsvc stop
./inetsvc start

1. vi /etc/syslog.conf
    6 . Add the following line
    deamon.notice /var/adm/name_of_log_file ( the two fields should be seperated by tabs )

2. touch /var/adm/name_of_log_file

3. kill -HUP syslogd

After these changes are made all connections that are started through the inetd deamon ( Telnet , FTP ) etc will be logged to the new file created

This is also very useful for auditing purposes with NTP protocol enabled which gives us a consistent time throughout the enterprise, accountability can be implemented in the organisation.

you can not use a serial cable with telnet! if your laptop runs with solaris try "tip" for serial connections. under windows is a program named "hyperterm".

i use teraterm/secureCRT.

I just need idea about how I can connect via ftp/telnet through direct LAN connection from my laptop to that solaris machine.

thanks cordially for usefull update.

can you "ping" the server from your laptop? if so, use ssh to connect to the server and scp to copy files. you have to enable root logins for ssh in "/etc/ssh/sshd_config"

hth,
DN2

How come he can use serial to telnet into the machine?

I also confused?!!

Please post the results of the following commands:

Network parameters:

ifconfig -a
netstat -rn
cat /etc/defaultrouter
ls /etc/hostname.*
  (cat each)

SMF parameters:

svcs -a | grep telnet
svcs -a | grep ftp
svcs -a | grep ssh
svcs -xv

In order to not to be confused, you may ask the PL mahadib, on which port the cable is connected to instead. Ask him to check what is "written/engraved" near to the port he's connecting to. We will be much clearer if he's talking abt the ethernet OR serial port..

The problem may not be anything to do with configuration......

it maybe because you are using a straight cable and not a cross cable from your laptop