cannot join xp or vista to samba domain (PDC)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    I have a barebones XP Pro SP2 with no firewall.

CentOS 5.xx running a Samba 3.xx Domain (PDC)

The XP machine has the Samba server set as the WINS server and netbios over tcp/ip is enabled.

The PDC is running a WINS server that is in fact working correctly.
-The xp machine can see it with the "net view" command.
-The xp machine can "ping" the server by using its netbios name.

1. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:
    Here is the configuration of the /etc/samba/smb.conf file
#### SAMBA CONFIG ####

### GENERAL SERVER STUFF 
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = samba 
server string = i r samba
encrypt passwords = yes

wins support = Yes

hosts allow = 192.

load printers = Yes
printcap name = cups
show add printer wizard = Yes
printing = cups

passdb backend = tdbsam
security = user
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groudel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null -g machines %u

# Followiing specifies the default logon script
# Per user logon scripts can be specified by the user
# account using pdbedit logon script = logon.bat
# This sets the default profile path
# Set per user paths with pbedit
logon drive = H:
domain logons = Yes
os level = 35
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes

[homes]
	comment = HOME DIRECTORIES
	valid users = %S
	read only = No

[netlogon]
	comment = NETWORK LOGON SERVICE
	path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon/scripts
	browseable = No
	read only = No

[Profiles]
	comment = ROAMING PROFILE SHARE
	path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
	read only = No
	browseable = No
	guest ok = Yes
	profile acls = Yes

[printers]
	comment = ALL PRINTERS
	path = /var/spool/samba
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	use client driver = Yes
	browseable = Yes

### $HARE$$$$
[share]
	comment = comment
	path = /share
	read only = Yes
	valid users = vmuser
  1. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
    I've tried to see so many different sites and solutions but none have worked. They seem to have done the same thing i've done just with a success. I've seriously been trying to get this fixed for like 2 weeks at school. Even though i failed i want to know what's going on!

2. School Info

University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Nyland
32 IT 415 you have to go to Winter09-10 ==> 32 ==> IT.

Explain in more detail what you mean by "doesn't work". Does it just reject you? Does it time out? Does it ask for a password?

Also remember that usernames must be synchronized between Windows and UNIX, and their passwords must be synchronized between Windows and Samba. If Samba recognizes the user and the passwords match, then it will let them login to UNIX as the specified local user.

For example, here at work, I have a local user 'leah' on the UNIX machine, with samba configured to let her access her own files on the server.

Her user's display name on Windows is "Leah", but it used to be Nathan's computer and the account was just renamed; the actual user name in windows (echo %USERNAME% in cmd prompt) remains "Nate". So in smbusers I needed to add this to let the "Nate" account login as leah:

leah = Nate

Next, I had to tell Samba to recognize the username 'leah' and the password she logs into Windows with.

smbpasswd -a leah

It will prompt for the password, which must match the password on the windows machine. If she changes her windows login password the server will stop recognizing her...!

Then I needed to add her to several groups on the server, so the local 'leah' user would have access to the correct files.

When that's all finally done, I did /etc/init.d/samba restart and she was finally able to get into the Samba share as the local user 'leah' with all the permissions and restrictions you'd expect someone logging into the machine as a local user to have.

Sorry for the confusion... what I meant was that when I try to add the XP client to the domain, it doesn't find the Samba domain. It tells me make sure that the Netbios name is correctly registered, which it is, or fix the DNS problem, which i shouldnt need.

When I type the domain name, i should atleast get a prompt to enter the root password/username. Once i get that far, i should be good.