Cannot find ubuntu on boot up

My brother (naughty) reloaded windows 7 on my computer and now I can not boot into linux. It now goes straight to win 7. What maybe wrong and can it be fixed.

you need to re-install the bootloader...

1 Like

I am very new to ubuntu problems. The live cd is different from the ubuntu 10.10 cd i used for initial installation? I seem to get to ubuntu@ubuntu and there is no way I can do what is on the link. I am not able to log into ubuntu at all. My windows still can not see the linux partition

That is a prompt, like a fullscreen terminal, so you're already logged in and don't need to open a terminal. Try typing 'sudo grub' on it like it says. You might not even need sudo if it's a root prompt.

Thank you guys for the help... I am so green in ubuntu so I will rephrase. Is a live cd the same with installation cd that I used? When I use the cd it gives me two option 1 Try ubuntu 2 install ubuntu. I chose try n went to that console bt I think it is wrong. All I want is to get into the linux I installed befor my naughty bro fixed me up

That text terminal you already got to is where you type things.

"try" is the correct choice. after that you have to open a "terminal" and follow the instuction from the above link.

note: read ALL content in the link carefully!

Before even bothering to try to restore the bootloader, it may be a good idea to run fdisk and see how the disk is actually partitioned after the windows install. It may save you some pointless hassle. Sadly, Windows installs have a habit of assuming that the entire disk is their playground and can clobber more than just the bootloader (which is why when setting up a dual-boot machine it's best to install windows first).

If you don't know how to interpret fdisk's information, you can paste it here and someone can probably tell you if your ubuntu partitions are still there.

Regards,
Alister