Can see my linux box from unix but from windows based

I have a company lan, we have workstations and we have servers. I have 3 unix servers, and 2 linux servers. I can ping one of the linux servers from windows, but the other one gets no reply, However, from my unix boxes i can telnet AND ping both linux boxes. The 2 linux boxes are on different switches but all other connections to those switches are ok. What does this mean? I set the /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file to enable xdmcp broadcast (=1) and neither of them show up in my broadcast list. I've tried ipcalc on both machines, their netmask and ip settings are fine. How can I check gateway, without using linuxconf, because i'm using rh 6.1 and it is running super slow, linuxconf errors out on the one machine constantly, crashes.

how are you pinging the *nix servers? with an ip address? or are you running SMB on the one that you can ping, and have the WINS name set up and are using that from windows? to see gateway settings, use the command 'ifconfig' .

I'm just typing ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at a command prompt, in windows and in the unix boxes. Any suggestions as to why xdmcp isn't showing up? I've enabled it to broadcast in the xdm.conf file.

Is everything on the same subnet? Have you checked the route tables (netstat -rn) of the Windows box in question? Have you gone into /etc/sysconfig and checked out the network file to see what the GATEWAY setting was?

If you can't ping the box, my guess would be that XDMCP won't work either, unless there's a firewall in there somewhere blocking ICMP on some boxes but not the others.

First things first, talk to the network guys at the office, and figure out why there are blackouts in certain areas...