Calculate needed CPUs

Hello

If a process on a AIX system uses 0.3 CPU's, how many cpu's are needed for 100 Systems?

Regards,
Patrick

In real world you cannot define values considering an one server or assumptions based on single system.
It depends on many factors.

1. What are you running on the system?
  2. Is it a DB system or Application system?
  3. Depends on Hardware (Model of pSeries like P5,6 or 7) and OS (AIX 5.3, 6.1 or 7.1) and
    other software applications running on the system.
  4. The software you are running is it CPU intensive? (we need hell lot of more details)
  5. Another major factor is licensing on CPUs?

If you have answers to these questions, we can discuss further or help you with correct system profiles.

There are many intellectuals here, who can help you design a better system.

Another important consideration arises from what the process actually does. Are you looking to replicate the same process across different machines? Are these machines completely independent, because if not, you will be faced with other considerations such as: are these processes reading the same data? are they writing the same data? are there scheduling dependencies? are they otherwise communicating with each other?

If i need 2 hands to clap two times, how many do i need to clap once?

If you could solve such problems by multiplication than "SysAdmin" work would be done by janitors in their spare time. (Un)-fortunately, this isn't the case.

There are so many contributing factors that a general answer can't be given. Some of these have already be stated above, here is one more: how much CPU a process uses depends on what it is doing: a database system in near idle state will use a lot less CPU than running at peak.

I hope this helps.

bakunin