Cabling and adapters to communicate to service processor serial port from Windows PC with USB port.

Hello,
I have an unloaded T5140 machine and want to access the ILOM for the first time and subsequently the network port after that., and then load Solaris 10 the final January 2011 build.

The first part is what confuses me -the cabling.
I am coming from a Windows machine (w/appropriate terminal emulation) via a USB port. The machine came with no cables or adapters -I have located the right Sun DB9 to RJ45 crossover adapter which is usually shipped with the machine. I need to connect to that from the PC.
The USB to DB9 cables I am seeing for sale are USB to RS232 serial. I need some sort of DB9 receptacle to plug into the Sun crossover adapter the other side which connects to the serial management port on the T5140. I think I need USB straight "uncrossed over" wire to the Sun adapter somehow and am confused because these USB to RS 232 cables advertised are already "crossed over" which would result in inverting the signal twice. Sorry for my ignorance and confusion:confused:, but I want to get this right.. Put simply-
What should I use to connect from my USB port to the Sun crossover adapter?
Thank you in advance.
joe

This cable + an USB to serial adapter works like a charm!

1 Like

Just adding to what DukeNuke2 has said, reading this thread from this forum might also help:

[SOLVED] Console connection to V240

1 Like

Maybe I am making this complicated but shouldn't I be concerned that the Sun DB9 to RJ45 adapter is a crossover adapter? Given that will the light blue Cisco cable still be right ? Just want to be sure. And THANK YOU for the reference to an older solved post.
joe

Yes, you are over-complicating things.

The light-blue CISCO cable is exactly the same pin-out as the genuine Sun cable which you haven't got.

This cable is RJ45 to DB9 female.
You put the RJ45 into the SER-MGT port on the Sun.
(If you had an old PC or notebook) you put the DB9 female into the serial port DB9 male and run a terminal emulator.

If the PC is new and only has USB, you get a USB to DB9 male adapter and simply put the male and female DB9's together. Job done.

1 Like

Thank you. I have ordered the Cisco cable and am now ordering the USB to DB9 male adapter as you have suggested. I guess it doesn't hurt to have the Sun crossover adapter sitting in a drawer -maybe one day I will use it. I have used the "solved" tag above -I hope this marks the thread as solved..I am new here and appreciate all of your help.