C programming on Linux/BSD : which tools to use?

Hello there, i've lurked this forum for a while (in few month i will have been registered for two years) but this is my firts post.

Well, after having looked to C language as a black monster, i finally have decided to learn it, and to learn it very well!

So, i'm quite new to C, although i have alredy red something about it.
I come from Java and Python, which i have used for various task (gui-based programming with java, CGI programming with python, and similar).

Using theese languages, i've found interesting and useful tools/resources like "The Java API", or Overview � Python v2.6.2 documentation, and, automagic compilation and packaging of Java code (done by my IDE, NetBeans).

Well, right now i Switched to GNU Emacs for nearly everything (from mp3 playing to code-editing, passing by directory browsing).

But well, what are the common tools which i should learn and get used to when i write C code?
Does something like "The Java API" for the C language exist?

Keep in mind that my code will probably run under Linux or NetBSD, but since i thoroughly agree with one of NetBSD's purpose, being fully standard-compliant whenever it's possible, o would my code to be as standard-compliant as possible.

So, any hints/advice?

Thanks,

Freddie

Java was derived - the syntax at least - from C.

The "API" is called the standard C library - For doing system things - like finding the number of blocks free on a file system - you need to read Stevens 'Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment' If you plan to be a UNIX programmer buy the book. Used copies are fine.

Other than Stevens (or Marc Rochkind's 'Advanced UNIX Programming' or Troan & Johnson 'Linux Application Development' ) you really need at least one good standard C reference.

C Board is an excellent site for references -see the
C Book Recommendations thread - it has a lot of reviews of books done by programmers.

In general a word of caution - the site is flooded with newbie questions, so unless you follow the cboard rules and guidelines you get dumped on.