bsnl broadband and playing media in solaris 10

Hi all,

I am a newbie in UNIX . Earlier I used opensuse 11.3 just because it was secure
for connecting to the INTERNET than Windows. Now I have to use Solaris for my work, so I was thinking of having windows XP2,opensuse 11.3 and solaris on the same pc. In spite of some good suggestion from this forum I was unable to solve the issue due lack of my experience in UNIX.

Is there is any way to connect to internet using bsnl broadband connection in solaris 10 and is it possible to play music and video in solaris ??

Thank U ...:slight_smile:

Well, how did you connect to BNSL broadband in Windows? If it's just a cat5 cable that should be simple enough. If it uses something wacky like a USB plug that's a bit harder.

Yes it is a cat 5 cable. In windows I connect the Teracom Type I ADSL 2 modem to my CPU using cat 5 cable, then the LAN icon in toolbar shows that an ethernet cable has been plugged. Then I go to the control panel
-> network and internet connection
-> set up or change your network connection
-> setup
-> new connection wizard
-> connect to internet
-> set up my connection manually ,
then I give the ISP name (which is anything) then my user id and password and that's all. A connection is made by the name of the ISP then just double click on the connection and connect to the internet.

Do you know what type of connection it is? Could it be PPPoE?

Bsnl supports the PPPoE mode.

Sorry friends for a very late reply...

Yes itkamraj you are right it is a PPPoE connection.