bootable X86 dvd and flash archives

I have created a bootable DVD for X86 using a flash archive, the problem is that I have to specify the location at the beginning of the install.

I have edited the any_machine profile under ./jumpstart_sample to contain the following

install_type flash_install
archive_location local_file /cdrom/Solaris_10/Product/test_sol10.archive
partitioning default
package SUNWaudmo add
filesys any 40 swap
filesys any 50 /opt

but this now just hangs at the install and no prompt
Any advice????

So you created the this flash DVD yourself? how did you create this and on what type of machine.
wouldn't if be /cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris_10/Product/test_sol10.archive

but I thought a DVD flash has to go to the DVD's solaris10 directory and pull the information. since a DVD is holding the soalris 10 / on there unlike a jumpstart server where it is stored on a directory the locations need to be exact or it will not work.

Took me a long time to get a DVD flash to work properly

It can be set up many ways tell me how you created and what system you used and i might be able to help you better.

Hi

Thanks for your response .I created this on a 4200 Solaris10, I was following the sun blueprint doc "GRUB and the SOLARIS OS on X86 PLATFORM - a GUIDE TO CREATING A BOOTABLE DVD" It is no longer hanging now, but I have to manually specify the local file as it doesn't find any rule to match to, should I perhaps create a specific profile instead of editing the any_machine profile

Yes i used that one as well and had a lot of problems took me a week to figure it all out and mix and matching documents

ok I will show you my set up

Rules file:

# NAMED Primary Servers

#
# Server 1
hostname Server1 \
	- \
	profiles/profile.server1 \
	finish/cleanup.server

now you can use hostname, IP address, Model, Netowork.
I use hostname since it is in the host file.

Profile file:

#
# ICS Server profile
#
install_type	flash_install
archive_location local_file /cdrom/Solaris_10/Product/Server1.flash
partitioning	explicit
#
# Specify partitions
#
filesys	rootdisk.s1	8192		swap
filesys	rootdisk.s0	8192		/		logging
filesys	rootdisk.s3	4096		/var		logging
filesys	rootdisk.s4	1024		/security1	logging
filesys	rootdisk.s5	1024		/security2	logging
filesys	rootdisk.s7	free		/home		logging

SYSIDCFG

#
# Solaris sol10_u10 sysidcfg file
#
network_interface=PRIMARY	{netmask=255.255.255.0
				default_route=xxx.xxx.xxx.1
				protocol_ipv6=no}
Name_service=NONE
security_policy=NONE
system_locale=C
terminal=vt100
timezone=Zulu
root_password=Q85Cxx9853
timeserver=localhost

then once all my files are correct i run ./check and this will check the rules file and create a rules.ok. once that is done then you should be ready. this is what i did before i burnt my dvd and it works. but you have to make sure your rules and profiles and sysidcfg are in the correct locations that is stated in that guide.

I eventually moved away from the dvd because i can accomplish more with a jumpstart server and kick off and entire site from my station and never have to leave. and it is easier to create a new flash than it is to create a new DVD flash.

Hi Thanks

yes this is pretty much what I have I am using the arch i386 option in the rules file, perhaps I am not in the coorect location though. I am in the Solaris_10/Misc/jumpstart_sample directory should I perhaps have this in the miniroot so it is picked up at boot??