/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi, but not /usr/bin/vi. is there a place where I need to set a path for this? This message occurs for all users set up on the server as well as root.

Somewhat unrelated to your question, but why are you using RedHat 5.2? That distribution is pretty old by now. I would recommend moving to 7.0 or 6.2 at least.

Now to your question: What is the crontab entry you are trying to setup? If you post the line here, we can give you more advice.

I am simply trying to set up a timed email of some visitor statistics on a weekly basis. I want to run a shell program and output it to an email address every Sunday at a certain time. At a command line I type "crontab -e", and I get:

no crontab for nasco - using an empty one
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory
crontab: "/usr/bin/vi" exited with status 126

(I am logged in as nasco)

BTW, I just received CD's for 7.1...if I install that right over 5.2, will it save all of my settings (IP, Users, groups, etc), or will I have to remove/install?

You can solve vi problem by creating a symbolic link to /bin/vi:

ln -s /bin/vi /usr/bin/vi

but it's highly recomended to upgrade. RH 7.0 is buggy. use 7.1

HTH