Best Practice to avoid dump core to fill-up root disk

Hi,

We're running HP-UX 11.21 / 11.31 on PARISC and ITANIUM. We're looking for soluation to avoid the core dump files to fill up / disk. Which moethod or technology that you normally use to implement this?

Thanks.

Ordinary users should never be able to write /usr/bin, etc. Also, the root filesystem - var, etc, usr, opt and friends - should all be on a filesystem unto itself with no application data at all. Therefore /var/spool, /var/tmp, and so on belong on another physical filesystem.

Consider -

ulimit -c <max blocks you want to allow>

in /etc/profile.

For ksh and sh (Bourne) on HP-UX; for batch systems. Interactive users can unset the
soft limit. But -- they should not have write access to the root filesystem

As an alternative to Jims option I (because I do read the core sometimes and try to debug...) I create a symbolic link of core to somewhere where I do have enough space (I configure al HP boxes with a /tmp2 file system of a couple of GB and force all users to use reserving /tmp for system mostly, /var/tmp also...) For the rest I totally agree with Jim

Thank you both of you!

HP-UX 11.31 gives a new funcionality: coreadm

With this new tool you can specity the name of the core, and where your cores will go and many many many options.

You could read a short post about it here:
HP-UX/HP-UX 11.31: gesti�n de cores con coreadm

Sorry but it's spanish.