Best Linux Distro

Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that

1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be used for Office work , some shell scripting and MATLAB work . Windows 7 which I m having right now is struggling with 1 GB RAM , I would like to increase the RAM , but only as a last resort.
2) Easy to use . I have used Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 10.10 in the past, (thus I am little behind the times) , I have not used the Unity interface of 11.04 Ubuntu, and also not tried the Gnome 3 of F15,.
So Gnome3 vs Unity vs the old classic Gnome which is best ?

If there is any other Linux Distro which is even better than the two I have mentioned considering the limited RAM I have, I dont mind trying it out.

Unless your financial situation prevents it, just buy some more RAM.

Matlab - System Requirements - Release 2012b - Windows are going to push your system to the brink (if not over):

The requirement is identical for the Linux and OS X versions.

System Requirements LibreOffice recommends at least 0.5 gigs.

Hopefully you won't have to run both at the same time. If so, you will probably want to go for a walk while memory is swapped in.

If more RAM is not an option at this time, then, since you are already familiar with Ubuntu, perhaps one of its "lightweight" offshoots would be a good place to start. Perhaps Lubuntu. If that's still too heavy, test drive a few minimalist distros.

Regards,
Alister

Would Lubuntu be a good choice ? I mean I can always upgrade my RAM , but since its a 5 year old laptop, I m little skeptical whether I should make any changes to the hardware. ~!

I'm a big fan of CrunchBang.

I'm currently using it on my Netbook and Home workstation.

If your computer doesn't have the minimum specifications for matlab, who cares about the OS?