best config for vmware server

Hi All,

I have a test to do. Run another redhat on top of redhat ent 4 AS. So I need to run vmware server linux version. My worry is that the physical server have so many big application on it but it's also test apps. Sorry in tight budget...

It have a big memory, disk, etc. Two ips. But what other consideration I should think about on installing vmware server on red hat 4 ent as.

Thank you for any comments you may add.

The type of networking support that you need. NAT, Host only, bridged or custom.

It's bridge, but i want to make sure the vmware-server will go to the other ip which is not used on the physical server apps.

For VMware server you don't even have to give the VMware server its own IP address unless that is to manage it via Vmware's console.

If you have spare NICs, and I recommend multiple NICs for VMware, you can assign the virtual interface per machine to use a wired and available NIC that does not have a full configuration.

Your biggest contention will be CPU time (VMs tend to have issues keeping their clocks in sync) as well as disk allocation. If you give all the VMs the same disk to write their disk object files to, you will have a lot of issues with dish thrashing causing slowdowns.