Bash/cron issues

Hi all, I am trying to run a cronjob to push my files to my git repo once a week and output a prompt to a logfile, my script works fine if I invoke it manually but my cronjob wont run for some reason, I have sourced the file, and restarted my Mac to no avail, right now I believe I have the cronjob timed for every 5 min for testing but would like it to run once a week once I get it working. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Cronjob:

*/5 * * * *  /Users/gmenfan83/commit.sh >> /Users/gmenfan83/cron.log

---------- Post updated at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:02 PM ----------

as I am reading my own post I saw I had no

after

/commit

so would this invoke the script

/Users/gmenfan83/.commit.sh

?

Can you source your .profile file and give it another try?

*/5 * * * *  . .profile; /Users/gmenfan83/commit.sh >> /Users/gmenfan83/cron.log

I did to no avail, I do not get it, perhaps it is running but I am printing the message wrong in my script? If there is nothing to push it will not show on git and if my "success" message is wrong then it will show nothing in the log file

Here is the line for "success message" in my script($now = date/time)

echo "Cron/.emacs successful $now"

BTW only some versions of cron allow to use */5 . You can replace it with 5 , also redirect stderr to another file:-

5 * * * *  . .profile; /Users/gmenfan83/commit.sh >> /Users/gmenfan83/cron.log 2>/Users/gmenfan83/error.log

Thank you, hopefully this works

---------- Post updated at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:37 PM ----------

Still nothing, I am truly stumped! Like I said the script runs great once manually invoked, the error log is empty as well.

Check if crond - daemon to execute scheduled command is running:-

ps -eaf | grep crond | grep -v grep

If yes, check the mailbox and verify if you got any message from cron with an error:-

mail

No output for anything, not even the commands to check the daemon, I tried starting it as well with service crond start but that returns service not found, I would say that this may be due to Apple switching to launchd but I am still able to run the cron man page crontab -e etc., I wonder if they omitted the daemon but the leftovers are still in bash?

Oh OK, then you should try using launchd instead. But I'm not familiar with it.

Yea, I am trying to get a definite answer on this but it seems folks still use both, I will try launchd, thanks for the help!

---------- Post updated at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:10 PM ----------

Used launchd and it worked first try!