bash with: if, elif & regex not working

Why is only hello3 being printed? There must be some kind of syntax problem because the file list definitely includes all the file extensions line by line.

#!/bin/bash

find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f | while read F
do
    if [[ "$F" == '*.txt.c' ]] # if the file name ends in .txt.c
    then
        echo hello1
    elif [[ "$F" == '*.c' && "$F" != '*.txt.c' && "$F" != '*.xml.c' ]] # if the file name does end in .c but not in txt.c nor .xml.c
    then
        echo hello2
    else # is this else necessary ?
        echo hello3
    fi
done

Try:

if [[ $F == *.txt.c ]] # if the file name ends in .txt.c
    then
        echo hello1
    elif [[ $F == *.c && $F != *.txt.c && $F != *.xml.c ]] # if the file name ...
    then

If I was doing the test you are trying to do with:

which is testing for a file literally called .txt.c, if you changed the test to == ".txt.c" then you would be comparing $F with a list of files in the pwd named <anything>.txt.c.

I would do it as:

if [[ -n "`echo ${F} | grep '\.txt\.c$'`" ]]

But then I tend to write Bourne shell with a few Korn shell enhancements when necessary.[COLOR="\#738fbf"]

Inside [[ ]] word splitting and wildcard expansion are not performed. So if you use == "*.txt.c" you are still comparing to a literal asterisk. Therefore you need to drop the "" as well in the case of pattern. "" are used for literal string matches. So you can use for example:

[[ $var == pattern ]] || [[ $var == "string" ]]

OK, I just realized that my system uses dash (not bash). So it works with bash but in dash it ouputs these errors. Any idea why? I really want to stick with dash syntax and not use programs like grep etc. when not strictly necessary.

This works in bash but not in dash:

#!/bin/dash

find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f | while read F
do
    if [[ $F == *.css.c ]]
    then
        echo hello1
    elif [[ $F == *.c && $F != *.txt.c && $F != *.xml.c ]]
        echo hello2
    else
        echo hello3
    fi
done

Bourne shell only accepts:

if [ test ]

Perhaps dash is the same?

Dash is posix compliant without all the additional bells and whistles that bash provides, so the [[ ... ]] is not available. You can use the [ ... ] construct, but not with patterns. So I think you should use a case statement:

find '/home/myuser/folder/' -name '*.c' -type f |
while read F
do
  case $F in
    *.css.c)         echo hello1 ;;
    *.txt.c|*.xml.c) echo hello3 ;;
    *.c)             echo hallo2 ;;
    *)               echo hello3 ;;
  esac
done