[bash] script is filling up my /var/log

I am trying to create a script that checks if my VPN connection is up and running...
Everything seems to work as except but for some reason, the script fills up my /var/log/auth.log with the below information

Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: soichiro : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/soichiro/Desktop ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/ifconfig tun0
Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: soichiro : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/soichiro/Desktop ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/sbin/ifconfig tun0
Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

This is my script

#!/bin/bash

vpn_status(){
	while true; do
		if ( sudo ifconfig tun0 | grep -q "00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00" ) &>/dev/null; then
			echo "$(tput bold)$(tput setaf 2)"
			printf '%s\r' "VPN scrypt is up and running..."
		else	
			echo "$(tput bold)$(tput setaf 1)"
			printf '%s\r' "VPN is Down..."
		fi 
   	done
}

vpn_status

Could someone please explain to me why/what I am doing wrong?

Hi,

You have sudo logging to /var/log/auth.log, you may want to look at how it is setup I think that this is the default.

Regards

Gull04

Not sure if you REALLY need to check the VPN connection umpteen times per second - consider using e.g. sleep 60 in the loop to reduce resource load.

Do you really need to run ifconfig as root anyway? You shouldn't, if all you're doing is checking values.

Unless I am wrong... In Debian a regular user does not have access to ifconfig.

--- Post updated 12-14-18 at 12:19 AM ---

It took me all day but in the end, I was finally able to prevent the following log files to increase in size.

/var/log/kern.log 
/var/log/auth.log 
/var/log/daemon.log

I took care of pam_unix(sudo:session) flooding my /var/log/auth.log by adding the below setting in /etc/sudoers.d/soichiro

Defaults   !logfile, !syslog, !pam_session

To prevent /var/log/daemon.log to increase in size, I removed the printf in my script

To solve the /var/log/kern.log which was being flooding with messages from UFW like the below one, I executes the command sudo ufw logging off

Dec 13 17:44:29 debian kernel: [16119.856118] [UFW BLOCK] IN= OUT=enp6s0 SRC= etc etc

I hope this will help someone out-there and if someone has a better way to do this, I am all hears.

1 Like

Humor me. Just try it. I've never encountered a UNIX/Linux system which didn't allow you to read its network settings. I have encountered systems where it's not in the default PATH, but that didn't stop it from working when /absolute/path/to/ifconfig was used. And now that /sbin/ is mostly depreciated, that doesn't happen as much as it used to. 'which ifconfig' if uncertain.

Using sudo where unnecessary is a security risk. Someone could abuse those escalated privileges to change network settings. It could even conceivably happen by accident.

1 Like