Bash does not work on AIX 7.2

We have a new LPAR with AIX 7.2. We want to work with bash, so installed bash from Perzl (bash_64-4.4.5.aix5.1.ppc.rpm). But after install bash does not work. If I call "bash", nothing happens. The xterm, where I started bash, is totally dead.

I tried the bash from aixtools.net, too. Same result, xterm is dead.

And I created a user and set "/usr/bin/bash" as initial program in smit. But it was not accepted by smit (Error changing "shell" to "/usr/bin/bash": Value is invalid.

What's wrong here?

Best regards
Burkhard

I can't talk for AIX, and thus am shooting in the dark, but on several other systems any shell to be used needs to be listed in /etc/shells .

Thanks for the reply. There was "/opt/freeware/bin/bash" in /etc/shells. /usr/bin/bash is a link to /opt/freeware/bin/bash. But "/opt/freeware/bin/bash" as initial program does not work, too. Same error message "Value is invalid". :frowning:

Regards
Burkhard

---------- Post updated at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:19 AM ----------

In AIX there's a list of shells in /etc/security/login.cfg. Now I downloaded bash from IBM (<https://public.dhe.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/bash/bash-4.4-3.aix6.1.ppc.rpm&gt;\) and this version of bash is now running. But there is the next problem with emacs (new thread).

Regards
Burkhard

---------- Post updated at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:13 PM ----------

/etc/shell is not important. Only /etc/security/login.cfg!

Regards
Burkhard

My surprise is I always thought that in 7.X you had a native bash shell... Why want to install another?

Native is ksh. :frowning: