Banning IP's

Hi all,

I need to be able to ban certain IP's from my website. It's on a UNIX server,(from my hosting company info... "our Linux servers run a customized version of Red Hat")

I am told there is a fairly simple method of doing this? Once I go past FP2000, I am pretty clueless. :wink:

thanks

XY

This can be done in more than one way. I use both.

You can use the access.conf file in your WWW server
(assuming you are running Apache). This is straight forward and is well documented on http://www.apache.org/

You can also enable IP Firewall on your linux server. This
requires the right configuration parameters in the kernel plus a tool [ we use the command line ipfwadm() ] to set up the linux firewall.

The access.conf in Apache is easiest for WWW only concerns. However, the firewall tools are very robust and highly flexible (and more complex to configure).

There are www-based tools to simplify this, but I don't use them. If someone knows a good one, please post!

Thanks for the last reply, was helpfull, but I am still a bit hesitant here. In my .htaccess file, I currently have this
<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all

I think that allows anyone to browse, correct?

Now if I edit it like this, will that filter the specified IP's? Do I need to reverse the order to allow,deny?

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from 148.233.111.232
deny from 148.233.37.88
allow from all

Is it also correct to assume that "GET POST" means browse, and "PUT DELETE" means authoring the website?

Thanks for your patience, I am most definitely a NEWBIE! :slight_smile:

XY