Backup To Windows Box

Hi,

We have one server (RedHat 7.1) in our department that has websrvr and dB. We do not have a b/u device for this server.

I have been tasked with backing up one of our databases to a shared folder on a windows box. That box is backed up via Veritas NetBackup to our DLT jukebox (which I can't use because it doesn't support RedHat 7.1 -- as per Veritas).

Now, I can do this manually by tar + gzip the db, moving it to a samba share and then to the mapped folder. I don't want to do this though. (To much work...and I may forget).

How do I add a the windows folder as a device or a share of somekind to my departmental server? If I can do this, then I can set up a script in my cron tab to do all of this for me.

I would simply like to cpio or dump it over to this other machine.

Hopefully I've been clear enough on what my objective is.

Thanks in advance.

VJ

I'm sure you probably already considered the option, but why not just mount a mapped drive from the Windows box, either with Samba or possibly NFS? It is possible to have a visible directory shown from the Win box, as a simple Samba share.

The script for such a task, even like how you're doing it now should really be quite simple from the way you describe it, unless I'm missing something. ?? :confused:

I had the same situation.. except I had two Rhat servers and a bunch of windows servers. What I ended up doing was buying the Unix services for Windows. Ran about 100+ dollars. It allows you to mount an NFS mount from a windwos server allowing you to back it up like a network drive. Worked quite well until CAI came out with agents for Linux.

Hope this helps

Jeremy
::email removed::