Backup / Clone Solaris Zone Issue

Hi, I'd like to discuss the subject of backing up / cloning Solaris zone.

I was trying to clone zone A to zone B (Solaris 10 11/06: Cloning a Non-Global Zone on the Same System (System Administration Guide: Oracle Solaris Containers-Resource Management and Oracle Solaris Zones)). The first test was failed, probably because A and B used the same dataset. The strange thing is that zone A became "incomplete" after the failed cloning. I have to reinstall it as a fresh installation. All data on the zone was lost. How could this happen? Clone is just like copy. If I copy file A to file B, file A won�t be corrupted even if the coping fails. How zone cloning is so risky? That�s my first question.

After I used a different name for the dataset to clone A to B, it succeeded. My second question: Can I use this way to backup a zone?

# cp �R /apool/zone1 /apool/zone2

Whats the hardware u r using..Please paste the o/p of

uname -a 

so that we can help u out..Cloning also depends on the hardware type..Like if u are doing it on a V440 m/c u wil face issues..as this m/c doesn't support cloning..If u r using mid range m/c's like e2900 or 4800 series..or a M4,M5,M9+ machine u wil be able to do it easily

I've never been in a situation like this before . So I cannot answer. your 1st question accurately.
For backup I do know some few ways to backup non global zones here .
There are some other techniques in official documents if you want more
I never tried mere copying to backup non global zones . I recommend you try those procedures above

Solaris 10/08 + Sun M5000

I did visit Zones Best Practices. Most of the backup methods there are for UFS. What is the best way of zone backup for ZFS (other than NetBackup)?

ZFS snapshots

have a look regarding clonning here
As I said earlier digging in official documents might revel something , Some of those techniques are extracted from ZFS from Solaris documents

Thank you for the info, but my original questions are not about how to clone zones - I did it successfully already.

No one talks about zfs snapshot that is good for zones on zfs' backup and restore. Isn't it?

It's hard to answer to your first question without knowing precisely what you did and on what Solaris release and update.

As for backups, cloning a zone might be overkill if the system decide not to use ZFS clones. This is an area where Solaris 10 and now 11 Express have quite evolved.