AUTOFS/NIS permission issue

This is unfortunately for a Tru64 5.1 PK4 system.

I have Autofs running and it seems to read and mount the NIS maps, however, on a couple of maps, eventhough is says (rw), the user home directory of /home is (ro). See cut and paste Below. This prevents the automounting of Users home directories. the auto.vol nis maps work just fine. The other file system is auto.sysadmin that has same issue. Works fine with "AUTOMOUNT". There is no local /etc/auto.master (auto_master), or /etc/auto.home (auto_home). These do not help the situation.
The real problem is with automount, the home directories get mounted under /tmp_mnt/home/<user>. So users enviroment variables have to be changed throughout their developement environment on this server. AutoFS is suppose to remedy this.

The NIS server is a Solaris 10. The Nfs Server is also a Solaris 10 box. I have no issues with HP/UX boxes or Solaris boxes using same NIS/NFS servers.

# mount -e
root_domain#root on / type advfs (rw)
/proc on /proc type procfs (rw)
usr_domain#usr on /usr type advfs (rw)
usr_domain#var on /var type advfs (rw)
home_domain#home on /bulldogs type advfs (rw)
auto.sysadmin on /sysadmin type autofs (rw, nogrpid)
auto.home on /home type autofs (rw, nogrpid)
auto.vol on /vol type autofs (rw, nogrpid)
-hosts on /net type autofs (rw, nogrpid)

# mkdir /home/old
mkdir: cannot write directory /home
/home: Permission denied

is it not that user home directories are supposed to automount into /home so home directory for user abc would actually be /home/abc? if yes, then your error is most likely due to /home being reserved for automounting a user directory and not necessarily an actual issue ...

You are correct for the rest of the World, but for Tru64-5.1 (until 5.1A release of Tru64) and Digital Unix, they for some reason used /tmp_mnt as the prefix directory. Automount Does create a link into /home/<user> but the way the developers have things setup, their apps always reads /tmp_mnt/home/<user>.

i am not saying that there is an issue with where the home directories are mounted ...

i am saying that the automounter or another process has locked /home so you cannot manually create any directory in it ...

# mkdir /home/old
mkdir: cannot write directory /home
/home: Permission denied 

run " lsof +d /home " to see if there are processes locking it up ... if you do not have lsof installed, download from here or there ...

mkdir /home/newdir

does not work if /home is controlled by automount|autofs.

df /home

should indicate automount|autofs.

mkdir /home/dir/newdir

should work (file permissions apply).

df /home/dir

can give two results dependent on if currently mounted or not.

df /home/dir/.

fosters a mount then gives a consistent result.

ls -l /home

Shows the currently mounted directories.
Additionally it might show not mounted directories (taken from the auto.home map) with arbitrary file owner|permissions; this is a browse feature.