audit user in BSM/C2 Log

Hi,

I keep encountering events in the BSM/C2 logs which shows that the audit-user who performed the event is the user (e.g. ongkk in the example below). However, the user is able to show me that he wasn't logged in at that time nor have the rights to perform the event (e.g. su in this example).

I suspect this is generated by a scheduled script which runs daily and it was the way the job was set up. How can I check/confirm that?

header,96,2,su,,simux65.ext.com,2011-06-24 23:36:00.598 +08:00,subject,ongkk,root,root,root,root,29685,1110674129,612 65558 10.88.xx.yy,text,success for user oracle,return,success,0

Check the crontab files? Check for user processes running in a loop awaiting the right time for this activity? Check for remote access by ssh or the like? Seems like a case where the effective user was allowed and his id was the not-effective user. Look for set-uid code, too.

Thanks. Found out from unix admin that some of the 'jobs' are using cfengine (which i'm not familiar with). Other than those you suggested checking - anything else if using cfengine?

Know your enemy: GNU cfengine

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/cfengine-1.5.4/html\_node/Reference/cfengine-Reference_88.html

I have my own firm for that i want to audit.

How can we help?