attempting to install chkconfig 1.3.5

Hi there everyone,

I'm using redhat 7.3 at the moment and am currently trying to install chkconfig-1.3.5-3.i386.rpm , but when I type this command:

rpm -Uvh chkconfig-1.3.5-3.i386.rpm

I get the following error:

error: failed dependencies:
chkconfig = 1.2.24 is needed by ntsysv-1.2.24-1

I have checked my machine, I have chkconfig 1.2.24 installed ! I can see chkconfig listed when I type rpm -qi chkconfig and the program is listed there. Can anyone help me?

go to an rpm site (like the one listed below) to address the dependency before continuing w/chkconfig v1.3.5-3

I have checked the dependencies list, but am trapped in a dead end, because the chkconfig-1.3.5 needs chkconfig-1.2, which is installed on my machine, but I don't understand why it can't find it.

Someone suggested to me that the chkconfig-1.3.5 might be from a different release of redhat and suggested that I try installing from the source rpm, but the source rpm requires newt-devel and it goes on and on.

I wonder if anyone else has any more ideas I can try out?

What this is all about is me trying to get postfix installed on my machine, but one of the dependencies for postfix is /usr/sbin/alternatives which I could only find in one of the provided files for chkconfig-1.3.5 so that's where it all started.

is a postfix rpm not available that as made for rh7.3? why not upgrade distros?

the reason I say this is cause the error message is saying that the rpm you're trying to install will overwrite files in the older chkconfig, which is listed as a dependency in another package, and so it's wanting you to now that the pacakge that depends on it could maybe malfunction if you do upgrade chkconfig, you can always just --force it, but have another RPM of the original chkconfig in case your system becomes un bootable and you have to reinstall it while booted off CD.

hope this helps