Assistance with using quotes in shellscript programming

I am using a Linux command that shrinks a pdf using ghostscript from 100% zoom to 90% zoom. This command works properly from the Linux prompt:

gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=sam1.pdf -c "<< /BeginPage{0.9 0.9 scale 30.6 39.6 translate}>> setpagedevice" -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dCompatibilityLevel="1.3" -dPDFSETTINGS="/printer" -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -f 2138WH.pdf 

However, I'm trying to code this into a call from their ERP software (running on a SCO box) that needs to run the code on the Linux box. I'm struggling with the quotes, double quotes, etc. I've tried putting a \" in front of each quote with no luck. I think I need to use the eval command but I'm not sure. Any ideas on what needs to be done? Here is the latest change I've made:

eval ssh root@linux \""cd /submittals;gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=/submittals/012606-003e.pdf -c \""<</BeginPage{0.9 0.9 scale 30.6 39.6 translate}>> setpagedevice\"" -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dCompatibilityLevel=\""1.3\"" -dPDFSETTINGS=\""/printer\"" -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -f /submittals/012606-003b.pdf\""
"cd /submittals;gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=/submittals/012606-003e.pdf -c \"<</BeginPage{0.9 0.9 scale 30.6 39.6 translate}>> setpagedevice\" -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dCompatibilityLevel=\"1.3\" -dPDFSETTINGS=\"/printer\" -dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -f /submittals/012606-003b.pdf"

Thank you - that worked great!