Assigning Authorization to a user

Hi,

I created a user, however, l want this user to be able to configure some services in REd Hat 8.0 such changing of Network address which is exclusive to root super user. Unlike in Openserver or Unixware were you can assign authorization and privileges to user. I have not being able to figure this out in Red Hat linux 8.0 I will much appreciate if someone out there can assist me.

Thanx

Kayode

There is no simple way of doing what you want in linux. The best I can think of is to create a specific user group, and then to give that group come root privileges. It is then possible to create a user account which has some of root's abilities but not all of them.

But if you can't do what you want to with 'fakeroot' as a normal user, then you should only do it as root.

I believe that can be done in KDE or GNOME.
You can try running linuxconf in Gnome. Under "User Accounts" you can change the users preveilege there.

I have tried doing that under the "KDE" and also assigned the root privilege to the user created. But when l login as that user and try to change the network configuration its prompts for the root password. All l was trying to do was to restrict given out the root password to user in order to change their network address whenever a system is moved to another network.
I hope Red Hat will improve on some of this security measure like Unix.

Try sudo then. Sudo is much easier. The best part is you will have a sudo.log on your /var/log/ directory to easyily trace what and when a user is invoking sudo for a root based command.

http://www.unixcities.com/sudo/

Thanx, killerserv my problem was resolved with this solution(sudo).