Anyway to do ufsdump os backup to usb drives

hi folks happy new year to all, I haven't been coming round for a long time.

I've been googling about this can't seem to find any good examples, I need to know if it's possible to do a ufsdump os backup into a usb flash drive.

Then what about in event of os recovery when we boot to single user mode from the cdrom will ufsrestore from a flash drive work?

does anybody have experience doing this?

It all depends on how your server(s) see the USB device. If it accepts it as a disk, format it and create & mount a filesystem then write your ufsdump to a file in that filesystem. The tricky bit is on the restore.

In the past I tried to script our OS restores from tape using a diskette to store the scripts so it would slice the disk and call the restores in the right order for each fileystem we needed to get a boot with including the one that contained ou data backup software. The diskette is not a recognised device when booted single-user from the install media so i had to give up. This was years ago, but it might be the same with a USB device.

You could, however, try something like this:-

• Boot CD and plain install to a temporary partition
  • Boot your temporary partition
  • Mount the USB
  • Use ufsrestore to recover your OS from the file on the USB device
  • Change the eeprom settings to boot from your restored partition
  • Boot

No guarantees, but it might work. It's all in the testing.

Do you do the DR to hardware you own and can test on? If not and you go to a company that provides a recovery centre, talk to them. They usually will have people who have done this sort of thing before. Discuss your options with them and they might even give you a procedure.

A possible solution is that the recovery site provide a basic working server and lead you through the ufsrestore and eeprom updates, adding device drivers that you might needs etc. but as they are in this speciality as a business, they have probably considered most options already or will get an answer for you.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

1 Like

hmm .. looks like there is no proven method of recovery using usb flash drives, I have LTO3 drives but my customer not keen to buy vhdci cards.

Has anybody used usb to vhdci without issues on solaris 10?