Anyone Using Slackware Anymore?

We used to use Slackware, but then moved all our servers to Ubuntu Linux.

Does anyone use Slackware anymore?

I use it as my work box since the company provided laptops run Winbloze. For the many years that I've used it on and off, I've never utilized it on the server-side.

What made you move to Ubuntu instead of sticking with Slackware?

For one thing, I like all the Debian-style install tools like aptitude and apt-get ...

Second, I like the huge install base and large community for Ubuntu and the way Ubuntu is well supported.

Yes. I use Slackware on all my PC.

Emanuele

I have to agree with you. Slackware is rock-solid, but still a beast in terms of software management.

Even between the slackpkg tool and the Slackbuilds website, it's still a lot of tweaking and issues. I had an issue recently on my box where I installed a lot of tools that I needed downloaded from the Slackbuilds website. Didn't run into too many issues getting them installed, however, one day I decided to do the equivalent of a yum clean all, or apt-get clean using the slackpkg tool. Well all seemed fine until I ran a command from one of the tools that I installed and it came back with a command not found message. A little investigating and it seems that when I ran the slackpkg clean-system command, it really did clean the system. It seems that since those packages weren't installed using slackpkg the app saw them as packages that were no longer installed. So that led to me having to re-install all those tools again...:eek:

yes i like slackware, i use work with science and programmation,..slackware solved all my work!!!
Slackware is my favourite, i programm much in C,...
i pretend use other OS's in the future, but continue with Slacware!!!!

i love slackware!

---------- Post updated at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:34 PM ----------

i use ubuntu, bactrack,,..too,...but far i prefer Slackware!!!
i want play gentoo, BSD and IBM yet in the future!!!

but i am a Slackwarian!!!
be eternal Slackware!!!

1 Like

Unless I'm mistaken, I think you like Slackware?

The last time I used Slackware, it came on four 3.5" floppy disks and was a text-based manual installation. It actually felt good, like I knew what I was doing. These days when I install Red Hat, it's a case of adding a VM in VMWare, a couple of DNS entries, starting it up, and the next time I see it, there's a login prompt. Brilliant for efficiency, but not nearly as exciting!

Hi.

No one here uses Slackware as a main OS, but it is among the options we have around for compare and contrast uses ... cheers, drl

# Uptimes for available machines 2013.12.01:
up   3 min      3 users: Antergos 3.11.4-1 (Arch) 
up  22 days     6 users: aptosid 2013.1 (Hesperides, Debian jessie/sid) 
up  25 days     5 users: CentOS 6.4 (Final) 
up   5 min      2 users: CRUX 3.0 
up  24 days     6 users: Debian (jessie) 
up  32 days     6 users: Debian 7.2 (wheezy, vm-server-ng) 
up  79 days     1 users: Debian 5.0 (lenny, vm-server) 
up  79 days     2 users: Debian 6.0 (squeeze, backups) 
up  95 days    42 users: Debian 5.0.8 (lenny, workstation) 
up  20 days    12 users: Fedora 19 KDE (Schr�dinger's Cat) 
up  19 days     6 users: FreeBSD, 9.2-RELEASE-p9, amd64 
up  14 days     3 users: Mint 11 (Katya, LMDE, squeeze/sid) 
up   7 days     2 users: NetBSD 6.1.1/amd64 
up  15 days     3 users: OpenBSD, 5.3, amd64 
up  67 days     3 users: OpenIndiana Development oi_148 X86 
up  19 days     6 users: openSUSE 12.3 (Dartmouth) 
up 411 days     4 users: OSX 10.3.9 
up  12 days     6 users: Slackware 14.0 

IMO it is strange to go from Slackware to Debian derived Ubuntu. I would have suggested openSUSE, since it is originally derived from Slackware. "zypper" in openSUSE works just as well, if not better than apt-get.

Here is one user's opinion about Zypper:

In the end pacman, zypper, apt-get, etc will all work just about the same so I guess it's really up to your personal preference.

1 Like