Any OpenVMS 8.4 Users available?

Any takers on a seeminly simple question?

Sure, fire away.

was that the question ? :slight_smile:

I would guess it relates to how to get rid of old Dec Vax or Alpha servers... :smiley:
I spent the first 6 years of my career as a Vax operator. I have managed
to forget mostly everything I learned about Dec hardware.

Still supporting OpenVMS 8.4 on Itanium, and looking forward to continuing to support it on x86 once VMS Software Inc completes the port.

I would like to know what file and the stanza to add the mount command, so the extra disks will be mounted upon OS startup.

I tried adding it to sylogin.com but it seems that the disks become unmounted when one logs out, then remounts them when you login.

SYLOGIN.COM
MOUNT DKB1: DISK1
MOUNT DKB2: DISK2

any better location?

SYLOGIN.COM gets run every time a user logs in. You DEFINITELY don't want to put it there. Any time a user logs out, any disks privately mounted to that process are automatically dismounted.

Move those commands to SYS$STARTUP:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM and you'll be good to go. There are other places you could put it instead, depending on how soon you need the disks to be mounted relative to other startup tasks, but I'd start there. Finally, add the /SYSTEM qualifier to your mount commands so they are available to everyone once startup completes. If it's a cluster, then use /CLUSTER instead of /SYSTEM.

1 Like

so the correct way to enter the stanza would be
MOUNT DKB1: DISK1 /SYSTEM
MOUNT DKB2: DISK2 /SYSTEM

and just add those lines to a space..like just beforel the TCPIP start line?

That syntax will work. Anywhere is fine, as long as you mount them before any other reference.