Anti-virus Software Question For Linux

Greetings To All!

I am new in supporting Linux and recently I was tasked to find out the following information and am not sure how to find the answers, hence this posting... I am running Redhat Enterprise Server 5.4 I realize this is a Redhat specific question, but it pertains to all of our linux distros in general.

(1) How can I determine if the linux server has any currently installed
anti-virus software?

(2) Assuming that the anti-virus software in (1) is installed, how can I determine if it is currently running or not?

(3) Assuming that there is no currently installed anti-virus software,
what are some of the standard recommended anti-virus software packages that are available for Redhat linux?

Thanks to all who respond!

Rob Sandifer

Linux doesn't really have much use for an antivirus, unless as a scanner for what's being served to windows machines. I've heard of people using f-prot as a linux antivirus for servers to windows machines.

We use uvscan and Linux Shield antivirus both from McAfee. Uvscan is a commandline scanner and you can find it in the crontab or buy just doing a find for uvscan. The Linux Shield is real time AV like you would find on a Windows machine. The You can also do a find for LinuxShield or you could find it using it's process name nail.

There are not two many AV's for a UNIX based computers. I hope this helps.

Many thanks to each of you for your thoughtful responses.

Rob

there are some rootkit scanners for Linux, like 'Rootkit Hunter'.
you should examine the list of all installed packages.

Virus scanners on Linux are bogus. Not needed what so ever unless you're running a Linux dedicated email server or anything that hands off packets to a Microsoft machine. Linux is secure enough to run with IPTables and SELinux and I don't even do that...

I wouldn't say that Virus scanners on Linux are bogus. The system is still vulnerable to cross site scripting. So some of the security issues that Firefox has on Windows, will also effect Firefox on Linux. A Linux server can also be a carrier of Windows viruses and then infect all the Windows servers on your network. So, keep all your applications up to date.

1 Like

I meant Linux virus scanners are bogus on dedicated CLI only systems that don't pass off packets to Microsoft machines. I don't generally load X Windows, Gnome/KDE, or browsers on Linux.