ALOM - Console -

Hello forum,

I have a SUN v250 at home that I have to practice Solaris. I currently have Solaris 9 installed and the ALOM Sun(tm) Advanced Lights Out Manager 1.5.2.
From the ALOM I want to access the console.

sc> console -f
Enter #. to return to ALOM.

after that there is no response. Unless and until hit #. to get back to the ALOM.

I did this via serial cable, and by Network Mgnt Port both with the same result.

Any ideas how to get into console from ALOM?

Thank you in advance.

Probably your server is not powered on (except for ALOM). Try executing poweron in ALOM and then console -f .

Hi,

Sorry I forgot to mention,

The system is powered on.

Thanks

It's possible that Solaris hanged for some reason... You can try sending "break" signal by executing break in ALOM and then console -f . It should get you to "ok" prompt.

Here's what happened when I issued the break command.

sc> break
Are you sure you want to send a break to the system [y/n]? y
sc>
SC Alert: SC Request to send Break to host.

SC Alert: Failed to send email alert for recent event.

sc> console
sc>
sc> console -f
sc>

The machine then does not respond. It remains at that screen until I press "#." it then returns me back to the sc> promt

I am not sure if this makes much of a difference but the rshell and ssh is enabled and I am able to ping, and ssh into the machine.

What I am trying to achieve here is to be able to console into the machine from the ALOM port or the net management port.
Are there any other configurations that I should be aware of?
I setup the ALOM conf by using "setupsc"

Thank you for your help.

You can try this: resetsc . After few minutes ALOM should be restarted and you can try to access console again.

Nope it still hangs after I log into the system.
I am unable to get any kind of prompt after issuing the "console -f" command.

I hope you are pressing Return few times after executing console -f ... Another thing you can try is rebooting Solaris from SSH session.

First I would try to disasemble the RSC card and use the serial port on the server to connect to the console. The first thing you need is a working connection to the console! If this is established, check the settings for the console output with printenv . Post the printenv output if you need help with the settings.

I did hit return quite a few times and also waited for sometime, but still no success.

bash-2.05# /usr/ucb/printenv
PWD=/
TZ=US/Central
HOSTNAME=solaris9
USER=root
MACHTYPE=sparc-sun-solaris2.9
LOGNAME=root
SHLVL=1
SHELL=/sbin/sh
HOSTTYPE=sparc
OSTYPE=solaris2.9
HOME=/
TERM=xterm
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/1
_=/usr/ucb/printenv

I am not able to access the console through the serial or net management port.
I can ssh into the console but that's not what I want to achieve.
Thank you

What happens if you use:

SC> console

without the -f switch?

Are you saying that Solaris is up and running (multi-user) and you can login to it?

When you give the "console" command and get no response, try ctrl-Q in case the console connection is X-off'd. After that hit return several times.

---------- Post updated at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:29 PM ----------

If you can login to Solaris (as root) post the output of:

eeprom

if I use console
I get the same message.
The system does not respond and only responds when I press #. to log back in the ALOM.
The system is up and running and I am able to access it via ssh from putty.
I need to be able to access the console from ALOM or Net management port.

The 250 has a built-in 'remote system control' (RSC) card. The console could be redirected to that and I'm not sure if the SER-MGT port will stop working (for console) if you do redirect it.

Post the output of:

eeprom

which should tell us what the existing configuration is.

(If the eeprom command won't work you might need to enter its full path on the command line.)

Here is the output of eeprom

# eeprom
test-args: data not available.
diag-passes=1
asr-policy=normal
local-mac-address?=true
fcode-debug?=false
silent-mode?=false
scsi-initiator-id=7
oem-logo: data not available.
oem-logo?=false
oem-banner: data not available.
oem-banner?=false
ansi-terminal?=true
screen-#columns=80
screen-#rows=34
ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
ttyb-ignore-cd=true
ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
ttya-ignore-cd=false
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
output-device=mydev
input-device=keyboard
auto-boot-on-error?=false
load-base=16384
auto-boot?=true
boot-command=boot
diag-file: data not available.
diag-device=disk0
boot-file: data not available.
boot-device=/pci@1d,700000/scsi@4/disk@0,0:a disk:a disk0
use-nvramrc?=true
nvramrc=devalias mydev /pci@1d,700000/SUNW,XVR-100@2

security-mode=none
security-password: data not available.
security-#badlogins=0
post-trigger=error-reset power-on-reset
diag-script=none
diag-level=min
diag-switch?=false
obdiag-trigger=error-reset power-on-reset
error-reset-recovery=boot

Now I think that we are getting somewhere!!!

I don't know what this means at all. Perhaps someone else on this forum can enlighten us???

The 'normal' setting for this is:

Do a Google search for "V250 output-device" and (preferably) get some pages of Oracle documentation and try and change that one parameter.

With that set to "mydev" I just don't know where your console is going. I must confess that I have no clue.

---------- Post updated at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:53 PM ----------

Searching Google it looks like that setting is valid (to send console to a graphics card):

A P P E N D I X A - Setting the Default Console Display

---------- Post updated at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:58 PM ----------

What is the history of the system?

Did you inherit the configuration from someone else?

Is it likely that it had a different graphics card in it which has since been removed?

---------- Post updated at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:07 PM ----------

The 'mydev' is an alias for a XVR-100 graphics card. Is that still in the machine?

yes it is still in the machine.
As of now I did set it to

output-device=screen

but I am still facing the same issue

if you set it to "screen" the output can for sure not go to the ALOM...

have you ever read the system documentation for the v250? if not, you can find it here:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19088-01/v250.srvr/819-2445-11/index.html

1 Like

@DukeNuke2............I see your post and I am now somewhat confused!! My understanding is that this is a 250 which has its own
idiosyncrasies. Is there more than one 250?? Is a V250 different from a Enterprise 250?

I have attached what I would use as reference material for this. See the RSC guide pages 10-11.

I would now get the OP to double-check the setting by removing all power (including the SC, ie, completely remove power) and then cold boot watching diags (in case there's a hardware fault revealed), then issue a 'poweron', followed by 'console' (needing to check that the SC is, indeed, reset with the new parameter(s) in place.

@br1an....I suggest you wait until we've agreed a course of action.

Is this the box in question??

---------- Post updated at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:49 AM ----------

This is the manual for the V250.....

Page 51 says output-device=ttya is the default.

DukeNuke2 is correct.

Good support - you people really know your way around Unix and Solaris. Bravo!!