All i/o (ftp) not working on this SunOS 5.10

Hi everyone: I have been trying to simply FTP a file over to this SunOS 5.10 (which is same as Solaris 10 now) and nothing works!

I can only Telnet to this via SSH (with my own account/uid), and I can also send simple mail out with mailx, that's all!!!

I cannot FTP to it (I think FTP server is not installed/enabled on it? ) "ps -fe" and grep for ftp does not return anything...

I do not want to involve the sysadmin/root on this at all, but is there any way I can check to see how I can ftp? Or even upload my own FTP to this and launch server?
It's been killing me!

As a Last resort, can a Binary file be copied and pasted without losing it's binary data?? ( I highliy doubt this!), but if there are any "special" copy/paste programs to preserve binary, then I can do that, but this is really last last option.

Thanks,
Steve.

If you have SSH connection to the server, then you can use scp , which will preserve the binary data without any problem.

1 Like

The problem is the binary data is coming from a windows machine... can I scp out to the windows and grab it back in? I tried "scp <my windows-machine-name>" but gave me a usage error...

---------- Post updated at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:00 PM ----------

even to another unix machine I got this:

>scp xyz.local.com a.out
cp: cannot access xyz.local.com

You can use WinSCP - Download WinSCP from SourceForge.net on your Windows machine, then connect from there to your Solaris machine using SCP protocol. Then you can copy files between the two systems just as if you were using FTP.

1 Like

I'm going to give this a try right now...please hang on a sec... thanks!

---------- Post updated at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:14 PM ----------

I connected to it, BUT I am not sure, even though I used my ID/pwd, it loggs into this directory, /users/myid but my directories are NOT there...it is plain, it has 2:
.snapshot and .ssh

I could put the file there, but I cannot get to it on Unix!!!

as a note: in my company, ALL unix machines have the same (1 point of) uid/pwd, so if they change it in 1, it does it for all, I think this is somehow related to this... any idea, where I can put the file?

WinSCP put you to your home directory. If you need to copy the files somewhere else, just navigate out of there clicking on the ".." directory and go to your desired destination.

I relaize that....never mind, I had connected to the d1 box instead of p1 box, which is why I could not see my directory! Now it's ok, I put the file there...

by the way my ultimate goal is to do a make (with gcc), and now this box does not have that installed on it I think, (only cc is at: /usr/ucb/cc, but no gcc).... hence as a lon road, I am installing Solaris 10 on my home machine, will build this code to a binary and plan to x-fer it to the sunos 5.10 at work and HOPE that it will work...is there any easier way, without root can I install a freeware gcc/make on this mahcine locally also and bring all the include files etc....?

It will work if you will have all the libraries that your code is using installed on the production machine.

No. But you might try asking your boss to get you a zone installed on one of the servers (possibly development one) with all the things you need for your work installed (gcc, etc).