AIX(VIO/LPAR) with Free NAS ISCSI solution

Hi,

I was looking on Google for AIX-VIO/LPAR with ISCSI solution and found following really nice tutorial about how to setup ISCSI with free NAS.

1) Build Your Own Open Source NAS Device Using FreeNAS | Train Signal Training - Free Computer Training Videos

2) Build Your Own Open Source NAS Device Using FreeNAS - Part 2 | Train Signal Training - Free Computer Training Videos

After going through with this really impressive doc, I've decided to implement Free NAS with ISCSI but have some query.

• can AIX support Free NAS?
  • Which are the Hardware (storage) available that supports AIX and Free NAS?
  • is there anything required to setup on P520. (e.g. file sets, or add ISCSI adapter)

I'm really looking for ISCSI solution for AIX and if this is supported then its awesome solution to replace fiber base.

if anyone has implemented this or similar solutions , please guide.... I will highly appreciate.

Thanks!

1) AIX Supports iSCSI. If FreeNAS utilizes the iSCSI protocol, than it can be used.
2) see first answer
3) check your system to see if the iscsi drivers are installed, if they are not you can install them from CD or download them from IBM's website.

lslpp -L | grep iscsi

Thanks Padow for quick reply.

I forget to mention earlier that server is connect to HMC (7315-C01). HMC version is 6.1.2.

can HMC supports ISCSI device and see from Free NAS?

here is the scenario,

1) HMC,Free NAS server and AIX server are connected to one N/W Switch.
2) Free NAS and AIX server received IP from HMC (DHCP) or configured manual.
3) on HMC AIX server can be connected.

thanks again.

Kabir

HMC's do not connect to storage. You would connect the iSCSI directly to the LPAR OS via the logical network adapter.

When I set up the software initiator on AIX using a Linux target my devices came up without proper ODM definitions (as "Other iSCSI devices").

I could read and write the device, but was not able to get it into a VG. I am not sure this had anything to do with the fact that the target was an "open" implementation rather than a "better supported" solution like the nSeries or NetApp. (Unfortunately I did not investigate further.)

Plus, the software initiator will require that the VGs must be manually imported/varied-on due to the order in which the software initiator starts.