AIX Servers Ugrading to 6.1

Hi, I am very new & I am upgrading the AIX OS 5.3 to 6.1 by CD/DVD media. Before Upgrading I must backup the data, right? I have to boot from CD then the server will start the process. So during the upgrading, the applications of this AIX Box will be accessible to the Apps users or not?
Secondly, how do I notify to Apps User that the server will be upgrading in one hour or so. Thank you & appreciate.
Last question, can AIX Apache Server run 2 same applications or not ,if yes then how?

Hello Tahniet.

• Before Upgrading I must backup the data, right?

• Yes. Backup using #smitty savevg or VERITAS (depending on your environment)

• So during the upgrading, the applications of this AIX Box will be accessible to the Apps users or not?

• No. Application need to be stopped as the upgrading will be done in SMS mode.

• how do I notify to Apps User that the server will be upgrading in one hour or so.

• Doesn't your environment got CHANGE Committee to broadcast to user before you perform this activity? This is a crucial steps as users need to be notified before any major activity.

My advice, please study more before you proceed. Based on your question i think your'e not ready to perform this kinda activity. Maybe you can ask for your vendor to support.

Btw, here's HOW TO manual for you. Please study.

Preparation before upgrading from 5.3 to 6.1:

1. Run Pre-Migration script to check if your 5.3 server ready to be upgraded tp 6.1:

• insert 6.1 CD to your server. Mount it i.e mount point is /cdrom
      • #cd /cdrom/usr/lpp/bos
    • copy pre_migration to /tmp and run it -> #./pre_migration
    • All output will be saved in /home/pre_migration.yymmddhhmmss directory
      • If there's any pre-requisite to be met, settle it first.
  2. Check errpt. Fix the problem first(if any)
    - #errpt | pg or errpt -a | pg

3. Check if any filesets were missing. #lppchk -v

4. Current boot disk setup.
    - #lslv -m hd5
    - #bosboot -ad <hdisk output from above cmd>
    - #bosboot -ad /dev/ipldevice

5. If all goes well, then :
    - perform mksysb backup aka OS backup.
    - perform data backup either using #smitty savevg or using Veritas etc.

6. Reboot the server -> Go into SMS mode -> Boot from CD :
    -> Change Show Installation Setting and Install
    -> (1) System Setting : Select "Migration" for Method of Installation (this step is crucial, make sure u select MIGRATION or else all your current OS setup will be lost)
    -> (2) Make sure you select the rootvg disk(s).
    -> Done. Wait for the update process to complete.

Thanks
Fadzli
Malaysia