AIX native SNMP producing limited results when walking MIB tree

The company I work for has various AIX servers that I've recently migrated to AIX 7.1 (from 6.1). Some are powerHA clusters some are not. Likewise, the systems engineer that I replaced had net-snmp installed on said clustered systems. Long story short I am re-invoking AIX's native SNMP (v3) for use with our enterprise monitoring applications and have found that our clustered servers are producing limited results when walking the MIB tree. Even using v1 or v2, same results.

Now I'm not sure that powerHA clustering has anything to do with it, or the fact that NET-SNMP was also installed, but without fail, the clustered servers produce only a little over 200 results when running:

clsnmp -h snmpUsr walk 1.3 | wc -l

My other systems, with the exact same OS version and configuration (minus powerHA and the pre-existence of NET-SNMP) produce thousands of results:

clsnmp -h snmpUsr walk 1.3 | wc -l

I've validated SRC properties, mib files, conf files, etc and can find no real differences between the 2 servers exampled above - again other than powerHA and the pre-existence of NET-SNMP. The limited results are hindering SNMP monitoring obviously. Any thoughts on what I'm missing in regards to my limited results in the first example?

If any conf or log output helps, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Thanks in advance.

Fixed.

Previous UNIX guy set the SNMP_PORT variable in 2 places to differing, non-default values. This caused the MIB subagents from connecting to the SNMP daemon. Eliminated one and reset the variable in /etc/environment to my desired port, restarted the daemons and all was well.

Thanks.

2 Likes