AIX maintenance package 4.3.

Hello,

we have an 7015-R40, we want to update AIX.

oslevel shows 4.3.2.0

At ibm.com we found following
AIX 4300-11 maintenance package
Recommended maintenance for AIX 4.3.3

It's possible to update the system with this file or does we need another source?

Thank you!
S.

If you follow the instructions that appear in the page where to download,executing

oslevel -r

can have an answer to your question

We have another server which shows oslevel -r, but the requested server dont accept the "-r" flag. It seems it is not availiable in this version of oslevel:

Usage: oslevel [ -l <level> | -g | -q ]
-l : List filesets at levels earlier than maintenance level
specified by the <level> parameter
-g : List filesets at levels later than most recent
complete maintenance level
-q : List names of known maintenance levels which may be
specified with the -l flag

Output indicates that base system software is entirely at
or above a particular maintenance level. Corresponding output
would be 4.1.1.0 first AIX 4.1 maintenance level.

The additional options may be specified to determine which
filesets differ from the maintenance level.

oslevel respond 4.3.2.0

Are there nobody to know how I can get the latest fixes for system 4.3.2.0?

Thanks for any helpfull answers.

S.

There doesn't appear to be a maintenance level available for 4.3.2 any longer from fixdist. Its an unsupported version.

You can update you system with this bundle, but it will be 4.3.3 then, not 4.3.2 . Notice, that there are some changes between 4.3.3 and 4.3.2 which could affect performance severely.

IIRC from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 was the change from early swap allocation to late swap allocation, so perhaps your monitoring of the swapspace usage has to change to reflect this.

bakunin

Hello bakunin,

are you sure I can update 4.3.2 with AIX 4300-11 maintenance package?

Is there a way I receive CDs or 8-mm with AIX 4.3.3 to install from scratch? IBM told me that AIX 4.3 is withdrawn from market and they cant handle my request.

Sagitario

4.3.3 is withdrawn from market and if your sales representative doesn't (want to) give you one try ebay or something such to get the original CDs.

You are corrct, you have to install 4.3.3 base package first and than upgrade to ML 11. ML 11 can still be downloaded from IBMs webpage.

bakunin

i'm not sure if 4.3.2 is even supported anymore. 4.3.3 has been withdrawn from release, but is, surprisingly still supported (at least for those willing to pay).

if you wanna know of a 4.3.3 maintenance level will work with your 4.3.2 level, you may want to try the install/update with preview mode (installp with -p option) to see what prerequisites are needed. i would assume that if it says nothing fails, then it's ok. :slight_smile: