AIX licensing management

Hi Guys,

Can someone please give me an introduction with AIX licensing management with 4.x and 5.x?

Is the licensing per user or per cpu or both? How do you push it on the server? Or is it included in the hardware price.

Thanks in advance,
itik

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly here. If you mean the license for AIX itself you do not have to "push it onto" the machine. The license is per machine. In case you mean the "licensed users" maximum: this is only of historical value, you can (and may) change it at any time. Goto "smitty system" and select "Change / Show Number of Licensed Users" to display/change the value. The maximum number is 32k or something - mor than you probably will ever need.

There are licensing schemata for several add-ons (compilers for instance) which are called "License Use Management" (LUM). There are "node-locked" and "floating" licenses. Node-locked means the licenses are bound to a specific host, "floating" is a system where one or several license servers hold these licenses and give them out on a per-simultaneous-use-basis: if you have 2 licenses 2 users can use the program simultaneously somewhere on the network, but you can install the software on many machines nevertheless.

Here is an article about it: IBM - License Use Management - Version 4.6.8

I hope this helps.

bakunin

thanks a lot bakunin