AIX 7.1 Login Terminal

Hi there, I am a newbie in AIX. I have reboot the AIX today and then the CDE login screen disappear. :eek:I have reboot several times and still it only shows the terminal (lft0) with only green characters and black screen:confused:. Anyway I can have the CDE login screen back?:confused:

Also, as I need to reset the root password for another AIX7.1... (just received from the vendor and they didn't give me the root password:mad:), may I ask how can I get the fix packs without an IBM client no or any method I can reset it without the installation media? :confused:

Hope u guys can help me out. Thanks!

Firstly I must say that I don't have an AIX 7 server. The CDE is controlled by the dtlogin daemon. The command to run is:-

/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon

It is usual to have a script in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d called S99dtlogin or similar to do this for you when the server boots. Note the capital S marks this be run with a parameter start during the boot.

This might be in rc3.d if your run-level is 3. Check this by looking at /etc/inittab

grep initdefault /etc/inittab

Separately, have a look at this for an IBM AIX root password resetYou should get a list of useful sites and even a you-tube video walking you through the process. For this reason you must keep your console (physical serial console, serial console server or HMC managed) very secure.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

1 Like

This is correct but starting it directly is only a one-time solution. The way to set the default environment permanently is the command dtconfig . For the documentation see here. For a minimum you need two commands, both need to be issued as root:

dtconfig -d       # disables CDE login
dtconfig -e       # enables CDE login

I hope this helps.

bakunin

2 Likes

thanks both of your reply!

I just found that the my default boot is rc.2, however I just saw these file in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d:

# ls
K71itcaTivoliCommonAgent0  Kwpars                     S71itcaTivoliCommonAgent0
Ksshd                      S00ct_boot                 Ssshd

I am not sure how to check if the file is running with a parameter

start

during the boot. Could you please help me on this?

Re bakunin:
I have enable the CDE login already and still won't show the CDE login screen. Actually I can type

#startx

to enable a X windows but all the desktop icons were still disappear.
When I connect to the AIX by ssh, it shows that:

X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0

I don't know if there are any settings error....but I am sure I have set X11 Forwardingto Yes

For the root password problem, I have check a lot of post and videos and still all the method still need an installation media. However my boss said that he didn't have the installation disc when he gets the blade.....

Sunny

You do not have to. When a certain runlevel is entered (in your case runlevel 2) all the S-scripts (S for Start) are executed. If another runlevel is entered all the K-scripts (K for Kill) for the current runlevel, then the S-scripts for the runlevel to be entered are executed. The numbers after the K/S just make sure they are executed in a certain order because prior to starting them they are sorted alphabetically.

But this all does not matter, because "dtlogin" is started in the inittab (see below) and you do not need any rc-scripts, at least not in runlevel 2 (see below).

"startx" does NOT start CDE but the native X-server (and the mwm Window Manager) This is what is called "AIXWindows". Post the output of

lsitab dt_nogb

to verify your really configured dtlogin. It should look like this:

# lsitab dt_nogb
dt_nogb:2:wait:/etc/rc.dt

Now have a look at what is in "/etc/rc.dt". There should be a line

/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon

in the script. rbatte1 gave you the correct command already, but it has to be started every time the system starts, this is why it has to be in this script rather than be issued by hand. Nevertheless you could issue it by hand, check if it has the desired effect and report any occurring error messages here.

You need to set X11forwarding not only on the server but also on the client side. Check your local ssh-daemon as well as the /etc/ssh/sshd_config on your target machine.

If you have support you can request such a CD from IBM. Otherwise you cannot install or maintain the system at all because for any update you need the base level fileset as a prerequisite.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

2 Likes

Thanks bakunin....I have the following output in /etc/inittab:

l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6
l7:7:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 7
l8:8:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 8
l9:9:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 9
naudio2::boot:/usr/sbin/naudio2 > /dev/null
naudio::boot:/usr/sbin/naudio > /dev/null
rcml:2:once:/usr/ml/aix71/rc.ml > /dev/console 2>&1
rcwpars:2:once:/etc/rc.wpars > /dev/console 2>&1 # Corrals autostart
logsymp:2:once:/usr/lib/ras/logsymptom # for system dumps
perfstat:2:once:/usr/lib/perf/libperfstat_updt_dictionary >/dev/console 2>&1
diagd:2:once:/usr/lpp/diagnostics/bin/diagd >/dev/console 2>&1
artex:2:wait:/usr/sbin/artexset -q -c -R /etc/security/artex/config/master_profile.xml > /
dev/console 2>&1
cimservices:2:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s cimsys >/dev/null 2>&1
clcomd:23456789:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s clcomd
pconsole:2:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s pconsole  > /dev/null 2>&1
xmdaily:2:once:/usr/bin/topasrec -L -s 300 -R 1 -r 6 -o /etc/perf/daily/ -ypersistent=1 2>
&1 >/dev/null #Start local binary recording
ctrmc:2:once:/usr/bin/startsrc -s ctrmc > /dev/console 2>&1
ha_star:h2:once:/etc/rc.ha_star >/dev/console 2>&1
vty0:2:off:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/vty0
orapw:2:wait:/etc/loadext -L /etc
dt:2:wait:/etc/rc.dt
cons:0123456789:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty /dev/console

Also I have check enable both server and client enabled the SSH Forwarding to YES. Now the AIX keeps looping between a grey background with a black X cursor and a black screen. After a several times, it shows:

* Suspending Desktop Login...
* Press [Enter] for a login prompt.

then turn it back to the loop.......:eek: I have rebooted and connect with ssh, it shows:

# ps -ef|grep dt
    root  1245298        1   0 09:41:04      -  0:00 /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon
    root  2555992  1245298   0 10:21:40      -  0:00 /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon
    root  2818478  1245298   0 10:21:40      -  0:00 /usr/lpp/X11/bin/X -cc 4 -D /usr/lib/     X11/rgb -T -force :0 -auth /var/dt/A0-m-ahia
    root  4325670  3604732   0 10:21:58  pts/0  0:00 grep dt
#

I think the CDE is running but I don't know if there are any CDE files corrupted.....:frowning: (Recently I have install a vnc server and mozilla firefox, but after I restart the server, I can't have the CDE back....:confused:)

Regarding the reset root password problem, finally we will have a clean install of AIX6.1 next week....(because we only have a licensed AIX6.1 instead of 7:eek:)

---------- Post updated at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:19 PM ----------

Finally the problem solved!!!:wink:
I have do a few things:

1. Check the /etc/ssh/sshd_conf (find out that there exist 2 entries, one is X11 forwarding to No and the other one is Yes.
  2. Check /etc/hosts to find out if there are any incorrect entry
  3. Check /etc/dt/config/Xservers (I have uncomment it and changed to:
:0   Local local@console /usr/lpp/X11/defaults/xserverrc -T -force :0
  1. Restart the server (#shutdown -r)

Finally my CDE login screen shows again!!:D:b::cool:

p.s.: In addition, I have Google a lot and find that the system locale setting will also cause errors in displaying CDE. (but not in my case, so I haven't check my settings)

Hope this post can helps!

Sunny