AIX 6.1 rogue process starts at boot up

We are having a bit of trouble finding where the following process is being started from at bootup.

/opt/IBM/tdsV6.2db2/itma/aix526/ud/bin/kuddb2 db2tds

We have looked in the typical areas /etc/inittab & /etc/rc.d but have had no luck finding it, any ideas?

Did you also check the contents of the scripts being called from inittab and rc.d?

Yes, we thoroughly checked them both, we did discover the following in inittab which looks to be related and that we commented out:

:ids0:2345:once:/opt/IBM/ldap/V6.2/sbin/ibmdiradm -I db2tds > /dev/null 2>&1 #Autostart IBM LDAP Admin Daemon Instance

However the process is still starting after a reboot which has us wondering if there could be anywhere else or something new in 6.1 were it can start from?

I sadly have no comparative installation to test, but how did you comment it out? You did not comment it out with a #? This doesn't work in inittab. Best set it from ":once:" to ":off:" .

---------- Post updated at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:47 PM ----------

Just a guess - it could also be a subsystem or a subserver:

lssrc -a| grep db2tds

If totally desperate you could also check if there is any other file in /etc containing this which might be called at startup like rc.tcpip and so on (usually not but just as an idea).

We commented it out with a

:

and I did change

:once:

to

:off:

per your suggestion. Nothing returned from the lssrc command either.

I do see some files in /etc that I will look into and post any findings.

/etc/inittab is correctly modified in AIX with the commands

"mkitab" (create inittab entry) and
"rmitab" (remove inittab entry) and
"chitab" (change inittab entry)

Read either man page before using one of these. Only root is allowed to sue any of these, of course.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

(PS: Software you could see running with "lssrc" have to be declared as subsystems/subservers and are controlled by the "System Resource Controller". You can create/delete/modify system resources with the commands "mkssys"/"rmssys"/"chssys". I suggest reading the man pages for these commands too. SRC items are completely separated from inittab items, though.)

Btw: What PPID does db2tds have? If not 1, maybe check if there is another process still running that might have called it.

are you sure you do not have any startscripts for tivoli identity manager in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d / /etc/rc.d/rc3.d ? It could come along as S99tivoli or S99TDS or similar - it usually comes across together with an application owned DB2 instance corresponding to contentmanager, websphere or similar IBM (gateway) applications. It could even be called from WAS or similar applications ... in any case it looks very much like an application process and not like anything that would correspond really to your inittab entry?

Regards
zxmaus

It has a PPID of 1.

After some research it appears to be IBM Tivoli Monitoring for Databases which can be uninstalled, however it's disappointing that I can't locate documentation on how to just stop it from starting at boot up.

Does the end of this page help you?

Help -

Please read the whole page to verify if this is what you need information on...

1. Using the DB2 instance owner credentials stop all the Monitoring Agent for DB2 processes. Run the following command:
<DB2_Directory>/itma/bin/itmcmd agent -o instance stop ud

where, <DB2_Directory> is the directory where DB2 copy of Tivoli Monitoring Agent is installed.

Note:
If multiple DB2 instances are being monitored then there can be multiple kuddb2 processes that need to be stopped.

1. On AIX and Linux� operating systems, uninstall Tivoli Monitoring Agent for DB2. Run the following command:
<DB2_Directory>/itma/bin/uninstall.sh REMOVE EVERYTHING

HTH, sorry if it is rubbish :slight_smile:

That's the same info I located and didn't have any luck with the stop command as the instance owner or root. I also used the manage command which opened a GUI where I could try to stop the service running - no luck either. So yes, I used the uninstall script to blow it away which worked. It was a non essential service that was likely bundled with the TDS installer and an oversight during installation steps.

Thanks everyone for your replies!