AIX 6.1 Backups

Hello,

I've got multiple AIX LPARs running on VIOS, within a blade environment. I need to dump a mksysb backup to backup rootvg and a couple of other volume groups.

mksysb -i "destination"; works however I'd like to make sure its being done correctly.

on the other volume groups, ive read that i would require to use savevg, to backup files and filesystem altogheter.

by doing this, is it automatically bootable incase i need to burn it on a cd (incase of a system failure, i can boot off the dvd and restore the mksysb first - the restore the other volume groups.)

any tips how to fine tune this?

Thanks

ollie:cool:

If I recall correct, only mksysb backups are restorable at boot time. Backups taken with savevg will be restored by issuing restvg. Was back on AIX 4.3.3 when I did this the last time manually so maybe check out the man page of savevg to get more info or maybe look into this:

IBM AIX Wiki - developerWorks

We wrote a script that runs a savevg and then runs a mksysb. Running the savevg first puts files into the filesystem (where ever you save them) that are then backed up in the mksysb. If you ever do have to restore a mksysb, you will then have the exact version of the savevg information to restore your VGs and filesystems.