AIX 5.3 FTP Folder Restriction

Hi All,

How can I restrict the folder on an FTP USER on AIX 5.3? I don't want the ID to change folder other than his own home folder.

Thanks for any comment you may add.

Google Search Results for chroot ftp | The UNIX and Linux Forums

---------- Post updated at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:05 PM ----------

Set up properly, a sym-link to root in the home dir will not allow escape, as is common!

i found AIX 5.2/5.3 solution,

just do this

# cat /etc/ftpaccess.ctl
useronly: ftp1
#ls -la /etc/ftpaccess.ctl
-rw-------    1 root     system           18 Oct 20 13:49 /etc/ftpaccess.ctl

the only problem is, it doesn't show the sub folder. user need to have knowledge of the hidden sub folder, ugh...

Yes, it has that option. What subfolder is this? Is it .hidden? A sym-link?

Help - ftpaccess.ctl

---------- Post updated at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:30 PM ----------

PS: Test to see if a sym link lets the ftp user out!

ln -s / ~/root

it's just a regular sub folder and it doesn't show, i talk to support and he talk to an L3 developer who owns the code, it's really like that...

Maybe AIX meant just the $HOME directory, not any subfolders! That's one way to defeat sym links out to other dirs: no dirs at all! Do any dirs show? Is this dir in any way different: mode, mount point, group, owner?

@DGPickett
For a ftp only user there is no Shell and the user is locked into one directory.

Of course there is no shell, what did I say otherwise?

This user says they cannot see the directory, so this feature works differently. I speculate it makes your whole world one directory.

An ftp command in chroot to the home dir can only see that whole subtree,

ftp normally allows cd, ls, and if not anonymous, m/get/put with relative paths.

Maybe he can make files appear in $HOME with ln?