AIX 5.2 5.3 disk performance exerciser tool

I'm search for a disk exerciser / load tool like iometer, iozone, diskx for IBM AIX 5.2 and 5.3

Because of a very bad disk performance on several AIX systems, I need to have a tool which is able to generate a disk load on my local and SAN disks.

Does somebody knows a kind of tool which is able to generate random IO's with a specified block size?

Just curious. Why don't you want to use iozone?

There is no iozone AIX version available.
I tried to compile the source on a AIX system without result.

Also I was not able to configure iozone in a way to generate random iops for longer times without using the -a or -A option.
I want to load the disk with (for example) 64k blocks for 5 minutes. During this 5 minutes I want to collect all my AIX, SAN and Storage performance counters.

Maybe you are able to build the source and give me some tricks to use it

May i ask what exactly "bad disk perormance" means for you? Maybe there is something you just missed and we can work it out here?

I don't know the tools you mentioned but you might want to read the manpage for "filemon", which can be quite a handy tool to find hotspots on a filesystem/disk and can provide several versatile disk statistics.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

To generate I/O load for performance tests I use XDD. Compile it yourself from the open source or find a version compiled for AIX.

Have a look at ndisk in this link maybe:
IBM developerWorks: Wikis - AIX - nstress

Also if you try to simulate I/O traffic on disk with such a tool, it will not necessary be the same kind of traffic like you have in your production environment. It might me just ok to see what max bandwith and number of I/O transactions will be ok for it.

For analyzing your actual performance problem on disks, you should investigate more on your systems where these occure.
If you need help, let us know. Without investigation it could be something different than it looks at first.