AIX 4.3 Openssh 3.7.1.0 Operation

I am new/just getting used to this group (Unix Forums), but did search around. I saw a listing for "openssh for AIX" in which a response indicated a link was posted in the original post, but I couldn't find that link or another "original post", so first, if someone could enlighten me why I couldn't find that info, I would greatly appreciate it. That posting had 2 replies, had a title of "openSSH for AIX" (posted by "gefa" and responded by moderator ("locustfurnace").

My issue: Getting openssh up and running on Bull AIX system (4.3.1).

I downloaded .exe file (from Bull Freeware site of pre-compiled packages) for openssh package, extracted, and installed.

Greping for openssh under lslpp shows:

freeware.openssh.rte 3.7.1.0 Committed OpenSSH 3.7p1

I can do "which ssh" and it comes back with /usr/local/bin/ssh, so that gives me further confidence software installed fine. Unfortunately I may have complicated things a bit with a prior, failed install of tar ball package of earlier version of ssh that I also couldn't get working correctly (version 2.9). I found one resource on web that suggested ssh gets controlled by resource controller, but I found that the subsystem wasn't "on file":

startsrc -s sshd
0513-085 The sshd Subsystem is not on file.

Is there a particular read-me that will help me configure this on my network?

I want to get this working between AIX/Solaris and Windows systems on my home network. I am just trying to educate myself and get a more secure network.

Thanks for any assistance or pointers.

On further examination I found "lslpp -f "freeware" gave me enough info to find the README (/usr/local/lib/openssh-3.7.1.0).

In light of no reply (so far), I started down another path (was going to try to compile openssh from another source, but had to some preliminary work (i.e., install zlib and openssl first (which I did)). On looking for the source to compile for openssh, I came across enough info where I might be able to get the "original" Bull freeware package (that I had ftp'ed earlier) working. I will update this thread for others benefit as I get farther.

If anyone has other ideas/suggestions (maybe I am making this more difficult than need be?), feel free to comment. :o

AIX freeware is at: http://www.bullfreeware.com/newweb/home.htm