again XFree86

hi everybody

i installed FreeBSD 5.x on a box with a video card Diamond SpeedStar A90 and a Fujitsu Siemens Monitor B772-1

when i do "startx" it gives me something like this:

fatal error: no devices detected
no screen detected

i'm lost...i don't know what to do.....i read the handbook ten times...doing as it recommends....my problem i think is that i don't know how to find about my video card and monitor features (synchro....)...i don't have their docs!!!

thank u if u can give me any help!!..lost

regards

is this a dualboot machine? in a situation like this, it would be fortunate to be able to boot this machine up into Windows, to get a look at the info it has on the video card.
Did you set up a config file for XFree86? The handbook should walk you through this, but you're going to need to know information about your card.

Did you try at a minimum to run `XFree86 -configure` and try the automagically generated XFree86Config file?

The topic for FreeBSD is discussed here in the FreeBSD Handbook.

:slight_smile: thank you guys for help...
I resolved the problem by trying lot of possibilities concerning the screen modes (i'm beginner)...it was the only information i could'nt retrieve from windows OS (i have the dual boot)...i don't read nor the doc given by my material vendor but windows gave me info about the card...(but nothing on the scren modes)

thank u again
regards