Admintool

How can I solve this

[root@HO_CIBER:/]admintool
Error: Can't open display:

It matters where you logged in from. If you are on the console for HO_CIBER, then check what your DISPLAY is set to ( echo $DISPLAY ).

If you aren't on console, then you logged in from somewhere else - is that system running X? If so, then set your DISPLAY back to it (and allow X to come to that other system - if it's a Sun server using /usr/openwin/bin/xhost HO_CIBER will probably work - it may matter what version of Solaris all of these are).

Can you talk more details about what to set for DISPLAY
When i use this command following
I don't see anything
and don't know what to do
Thks you so much

If you haven't specifically changed your DISPLAY variable (manually, or in a '.profile'), it is most likely set to: ':0'

Also, if you have done a 'su' to root in your "terminal", most likely you will NOT have permission to access the X server.

So, first do: "DISPLAY=:0;export DISPLAY" [or "setenv DISPLAY ':0'" for csh/tcsh.]
Then try the admintool again. If it does not work, then:

If you DID 'su' to root, open another command window (xterm, dtterm, etc.) as YOU (not root), and do: "xhost +"
This will allow you, as root, to 'connect' to the X server with your command 'admintool'.

B.T.W.: admintool will be eliminated in Solaris 10.

My set up is this:

I have a Sunfire V100 server running Solaris 8. ip address 192.168.1.250.
I cave a windows XP laptop and xwin32 installed. ip address 192.168.1.64

I can used xwin32 to bring up a CDE. Then a terminal window. From there I can su to root. (su -) But admin tool would not work. Error: Cannot open Display.

I used the above steps to resolve this issue, but first I needed to know the display.

• Bring up terminal window (whilst logged in as regular user)
  • At the prompt type: echo $DISPLAY
    -> It returned a line: 192.168.1.64:1.0
  • Switch user to root: su -
    -> enter root password
  • At the # prompt type: DISPLAY=192.168.1.64:1.0 ; export DISPLAY

admintool &
and voila!