Administrator locked out - Ubuntu 11.10

Yes I'm new to Ubuntu! I am Administrator because I installed Ubuntu.
On the 20th Jan I became tired of entering the login password and so decided to change to automatic login and changed the password to "none".
The result of this is that I no longer have the necessary privileges and the Keyring authentication box keeps popping up, but it will no longer accept what used to be my password. I have read all sorts of advice such as deleting Gnome2 files etc.
At present I am trying to find a backup to restore the Gnome2 files from that is previous to the 20th Jan and since the last re-installation.
Please can anyone suggest a simple way out of this mess?

When GRUB loads, select "recovery mode" or "single user mode" instead of your usual boot. This should put it into a root prompt without needing a password, allowing you to run 'passwd', which will ask you for a new password twice, and set root's password if they match.

Why are you logging into root all the time, anyway? Make an account to play with, so if you mess up something like this, you still have root to fix it. That's mostly what root's for.

Thanks Corona,
I have two separate user accounts, one of which is mine. I don't know how I gave you the impression that I was operating in root.
I had already tried your suggestion without success but have had another attempt and now succeeded. Everything seems to now operate correctly.

Thanks again
Roy