Add hard drive to SCO 6.0.0

I've been working on installing SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 and need to install a second hard drive onto the system. I have not done this too often (5 years ago for the same client) and I can not write the "divvy table" to the system (I/O Error.) Where can I find detail step by step instructions?

I did this a couple of weeks ago, and as I recall, all I did was run 'mkdev hd'.
It complained that hardware was automatically recognized, and then went directly into divvy.

That just it! Divvy does not send the table to the second RAID diskete. It ends with a "I/O" error. What next?

Has the second logical disk been initialized, as opposed to just being defined.

• Initialised the hard drives (RAID controller)

• Defined the RAID 1 disk (ServeRAID 9 set up boot CD)

• Second hard drive shows up at the "mkdev hd" screens

• Fdisk partitioned (completely.)

• During the Divvy, set up a entry for the filesysystem, type and start/ending "blocks."

At time I need to write the "Divvy" table, the system returns an 'I/O" error and no "divvy" table is on the drive (when I try every time after.)

I'm I missing a "step?"

I am assuming in fdisk that you chose option 3, use entire disk for unix.
Did you check for bad tracks? If you did not, try to and see if you can do a destructive check.

Divvy then asks how many files systems do you want ?
Then asks if you want to make any changes?
Are you at this point entering additional filesystems, or just changing the size of the file systems that were automatically created?
Do any of the start/end addresses overlap?

As an alternative, why not try running divvy using all the defaults, and answering no to making any changes, and see if this setup terminates normally. You can always go back and change it afterwards.

During the second disk install with 'mkdev hd' , it gives a choice immediately at the fdisk section:

The recommended default partitioning for your disk is:

a 100% "UNIX System" partition.

To select this, please type "y". To partition your disk
differently, type "n" and the "fdisk" program will let you
select other partitions.

Then 'divvy' shows up with the following table:
+-------------------+------------+--------+---+-------------+------------+
| Name | Type | New FS | # | First Block | Last Block |
| c0b0t1d0s0 | NON FS | no | 0 | 0| 71545476|
| c0b0t1d0s1 | NOT USED | no | 1 | -| -|
| c0b0t1d0s2 | NOT USED | no | 2 | -| -|
| c0b0t1d0s3 | NOT USED | no | 3 | -| -|
| c0b0t1d0s4 | NOT USED | no | 4 | -| -|
| c0b0t1d0s5 | NOT USED | no | 5 | -| -|
| c0b0t1d0s6 | NOT USED | no | 6 | -| -|
| hd1a | WHOLE DISK | no | 7 | 0| 71553477|

Erasing and creating a new FS as name u as type vxfd with the same first / last block as #0, upon i[nstall] creates my I/O error.

Am I do something wrong? I just need the second drive working as additional storage.

I just looked at a system with 2 logical drives, and ran divvy twice,
once as 'divvy /dev/rhd1a' and got output that looks like yours,
and secondly as 'divvy /dev/hd1a' and got output that looks more like what you would expect from 5.0.7

Don't know?
Check your email, I sent you contact info

That's just it, I was able to create the second drive with OpenServer 5 but it fails with 6.

Addendum: Would creating the hard drive completely within OpenServer 5.0.7 and then upgrading to SCO 6? I have been doing the drive creation completely in SCO 6 (erase and re-do the drive completely.) Would the upgrade to 6 allow the drive to be installed automatically?

From SCO Knowledge Base, Article #116163

Drive is a newly defined RAID 1 disk. Physical drives were initialized with the ServeRAID 8K (with battery) RAID module. Tried setting the RAID 1 drive set up both with the ServeRAID firmware "module" Raid drive creation and ServeRAID 9 Support CD. Also tried with the ServeRAID 9 Application CD RaidMan (Java ServeRAID Manager software.) Also been trying the delete all current partitions and let mkdev hd re-do:

The recommended default partitioning for your disk is:

a 100% "UNIX System" partition.

To select this, please type "y". To partition your disk
differently, type "n" and the "fdisk" program will let you
select other partitions.

So there should not be any operating system on this drive. I will try the article and post back.

Just completed the install of the second drive. As per to article, the drive had something blocking the mbr / superblock that somehow the mkdev hd did not clear. Even the fdisk write to the master boot code (???) did not fix.

Because fdisk only modifies the section of the master boot block that applies to its (fdisk) OS type.
If you want to completely erase the master boot block, then you have to low level format the disk, which is what happened when dd wrote zeros onto the raw disk device.

You would assume that the "initialize hard drives" as part of the RAID controller configuration would do the low-level format? That is what most SCSI RAID controllers do. I guess it is different with SAS.