Able to ping the server but not able to login through putty it says network timeout

Able to ping the server but not able to login through putty it says network timeout

Please assist

Which way are you trying to connect to the server? Is that via telnet or ssh? Are those daemons running on your server? Are you able to connect to the console of the server, try to login and check your network parameters and processes?

Keep in mind that "ping" and whatever "putty" contacts on the server (telnet, ssh, whatever) are two different things. One might well work (ping), while the other doesn't.

Depending on the service you contact you will have to make sure on the server that this service indeed runs. Use the

lssrc -a | grep -v inoperative

command to find out about running services.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I would suggest a few options to explore on this. If ping works, then your network card definitions and routing seems fine.

• The time-out is most likely that a firewall is blocking you.
  • It could be an error in SELinux if that is running.

It could possibly be that the DNS lookup time-out & retry on the server are set too long and it cannot resolve your IP address back to a name quickly enough (or abort lookup) and your client times-out first, but this is very unlikely.

Can you your trace with ping or traceroute to a specified port? Try port 22 for SSH connections and port 23 for Telnet.

I hope that this gives you something to work off.

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK