A stupid Question For Admin Neo

Plz....if u don't mind I want to Know if you are : *******, ********* .....Thank you for answering this Q?? you 'll ask why ...I 'll answer cause I like you ....when I read about your past ..........I want to read more and more about your life plz...

A word on 'certification'

I've been working on UNIX-based systems for over 15 years, including almost every flavor of UNIX under the sky. Never, in my career, have I meet a great UNIX person who was 'certified'. All the great system administrator and programmers have the same thing in common - a lot of reading and hands on experience on the job. There is no classroom experience that can substitute for crashing a live server for a major corporation at 3 am and having the responsibility to get it back on line before business opens or you are 'toast'.

I've worked in places where the system administator was in a training class for a week and while they were away, the backup tape for the major systems was full and ejected itself. They had a automatic email in place to warn, but they were in class Then, a consultant who was working on a difficult codeing project for a month lost her files. She went to look for the backup tape to restore the files and found the tape ejected !!!! She cried, really.

I've worked with a lot of folks over the years certified on routers, UNIX, MS, etc. I'm sorry to say that none of these people were 10 percent as competent than the people who had a passion for reading and building, hands on. Most certifications are just ways for vendors and suppliers to make money selling training papers.

Want to be great at UNIX? Get a version of UNIX (Linux, BSD, whatever), build a server from scratch and start building and writing C code. Get Rich Stevens books on system level programming and learn to program at the system level. Write your own server and client code, debug the code, work on interprocess communications, debug memory leaks, build shared libs, build static libs, fix corrupt file systems, etc.

Certification is not good for personal knowledge. It is useful when you are just starting to get your foot in the door of a company who requires certification, but you can bet your paycheck that the experts do not have these 'waste of time' pieces of paper. Do you think that Rich Stevens, who wrote the best books on UNIX is 'certified by a vendor?'
How about Linus Torvalds, inventor of Linux? No, they are great UNIX people because they did not take any vendor shortcuts. Patiences, practice, discipline are what builds the foundation for being great at anything, not quick certification classes.

I recommend you go to http://www.unix.com/ and follow the link on the left side to Stevens Classics. Buy Rich Stevens books and start programming network based UNIX projects and learn the internals. This will make you a great UNIX person.

[Edited by Neo on 11-09-2000 at 11:53 AM]

In a galaxy far away ....

I worked as a contractor for Motorola outside of Chicago. I had very little UNIX experience but a lot of electrical engineering experience, so I got a break to work on UNIX. The boss said, here are the UNIX systems, and here is what I need, and here is the root login, be careful. Of course, the system was not a production box, but in the Motorola lab.

My first project was to take the HP test equipment running the HPIB (IEEE 488) interface to 'Rocky Mountain Basic' running on HPUX. It was a multiuser environment with different users needing the same test equipment so there were waveguide switches, command and control, etc. The atomic and threadsafe pieces were complex and challenging for a novice; would still be challenging today!

The first thing the project had to have was shared memory between different UNIX processes. (it took a while to learn that shared memory was the right IPC choice, BTW. why not message queues? semaphores? ) I had to learn everything about Interprocess Communcations (IPCs) which is the heart of the UNIX OS. I used the systems calls in HPUX to build this code and had to debug it. The systems calls did not work. I called HP. Back in those days you could talk directly to the system code developers. They told me that NO ONE had every used the system calls to do shared memory using RMB as we were doing with the HP test equipment. I was the first. We worked together, they fixed the bugs in the system call, and SUCCESS!! (I thought I would go crazy after a few weeks on this job!! My golf game fell to pieces. No way I could concentrate on the course during this learning period.)

After that, I got the task to interface the same system to a Progress database. I had to write both the socket clients and socket server APIs for this using HPUX system calls and Progress UNIX APIs, all in C (and some RMB interface glue to the test gear). Each line of the client-server code I had to debug myself. Of interest, the Progress gurus said what I was doing was 'impossible' because Progress would not do it out of the box. I said, 'that is what the published APIs are for, right?' In return, they refused to acknowledge my existance

Two terminals set up next to each other.. Create a socket, bind to the socket, listen, send data... "Hey,where is the data on the other end?" Debug more, write more print statements, lose another pound of fat (muscle!), drink more Mountain Dew, try again. Finally, I build the C APIs to allow a user in the Progress SQL system to make a query directly to the HPIB systems and to store the HPIB test results in the Progress database. We tested. Others tested.

The code all when into the production line on the Motorola assembly line where downtime is taken VERY seriously. Radios are built on assembly lines and assembly lines must roll!! Failure is not an option, period.

I will not bore you with too many 'war stories.' I hope you will understand my point that the best way to become an expert in UNIX is to use the UNIX systems calls and the C programming language to develop applications or APIs that use UNIX IPCs. You will learn system adminstration, shell, C programming, etc. by default because you can't build UNIX systems applications without mastering the shell environment. You can't be a good systems programmer without C - the best PERL programmers are old C programmers who don't have time to compile

I would suggest that you tackle modern problems like APIs and extensions to PHP, PERL, MySQL and/or work on UNIX interfaces to wireless protocols over the Internet, i.e. WAP, Bluetooth, or something modern and fun. Yes, it will be hard, but you just might become the next 'famous person' who built a killer app! If not famous ,you will become a great UNIX person. Think of Eric and sendmail. Larry and PERL ---- NTP, USENET News, etc. All of the people were just like you at one time. Many of the greatest programmers of all time gave their code away for free to benefit the community. Do they sell UNIX certifications?

That is why I started this forum. It is the newbies of today who will become the gurus of tomorrow. Everyone is an expert at something and no one can be an expert in everything. It is the passion for the results, for success, to achieve, which makes it fun. UNIX offers more for the imagination that any other software platform by far. Today, you can get a super fast processor, memory, and disks for next to nothing. Many of the best flavors of UNIX are free.

There are no barriers except your imagination, your motivation, and your interest.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Neo is just an unknown, nameless person who lives both inside and outside the matrix...... Thank you for your understanding :slight_smile:

"Free Your Mind".... Morpheus to Neo in "The Matrix"

For the poster interested in job forums:

I am sorry, but rule are rules and these are free forums.... not paid subscription job forums (and we want it to be technical, not swarmed with headhunters).... thanks for your understanding... for job discussions, please visit;

www.monster.com

If we create paid subscription tiered services, then job posting might be a good idea.... in a few years :slight_smile: Not now, sorry.

Also, if you notice, email addresses are not allowed in posts at this time..... please be so kind to not post email addresses in posts. We don't want this site to get a reputation as a place to mine for email addresses (and we all know how the Internet is these days with spam!!! not to mention privacy... )

Mr .Neo

I 'm not asking for job posting (I think Truest Member asked for it)

what is meant by this Philosophy

I want to be an element of this sequare matrix ....So it must have determinant ......I'll prefer to tunnel inside Qauntum well as Electron does .......if I 'm confined on this well So .....i.e Restrictions exists.....it 's an Ideal case when the potential barrier = infinity ............. I don't like jails .....may be that's what you mean in
yes free your mind .....

Atiato,

"Free Your Mind" is a classic line in the movie 'The Matrix' starring Keanu Reeves. The best way to understand "Free Your Mind" is to see the movie or watch the DVD (if you have not already):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000K19E/ref=ref=cm\_bg\_f_1/102-3221544-6448912

BTW: Thank you for all the kinds words...... appreciate the warm regards. -Neo

Thank you Neo ......."Free your Mind" I watch the Matrix more than 6 times .....It's fantastic movie I like it ......" No one can tell u that you r in love you just Know it ?!!!!!!

I ordered Unix system admin Handbook before two days ....So I'll work Hard this time .....Thank you Mr.Neo

yours

I don't Know what to say to you my Admin? Now I'm telecom engineer working on a migration from NSK to Unix sysytem and writnig very nice shell scripts and implementing RAP roaming modules .....Do u Know why ? because of what the way I learn my self and How the way I change my thinking means that really you are the One Neo and I'm keep walking till the end .......

Finally ,

Special thanks to whom who support and help me in this site and to whom who posts their thinking "Free your Mind" Here is the issue there is no borders behind our minds :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Atiato,

Wonderful to hear about your journey and transformation.

I am both honored and humbled by your generous words.

Warm Holiday Greetings,

Neo

never saw such admirable wordz for ne one....im damn sure ur "guru" is 200 % worth of all this...

i know i might be adding to the same but...sm times its gud to be stupid then to be shy or proudy :stuck_out_tongue: ....

ne ways i wanted to ask ataito/neo abt how to start...in a nut shell (and to quote some of the grt wordz mentioned below...)...

Want to be great at UNIX? Get a version of UNIX (Linux, BSD, whatever), build a server from scratch and start building and writing C code. Get Rich Stevens books on system level programming and learn to program at the system level. Write your own server and client code, debug the code, work on interprocess communications, debug memory leaks, build shared libs, build static libs, fix corrupt file systems, etc.

so basically all my how tos are above....
im a beginner in unix....but have written few scripts....but dont know ne thing on the srver side n all tat wat u mentioned...

can u suggest ne site/book...etc on how to learn on server side, craeting servers n all:-)...

wud be glad if u have ne pointers for the same..

regards(for both neo & atiato)
Bhups.