A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this :

I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory.
Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions.

Note:I log in as not the owner,but user of the group.

Is it possible to cp the files from the source directory to the destination directory.
(It was possible but i found it a bit erie as i didn't had the "w" permission in the source directory).

The second issue is I have a source directory with all the permissions.I have a file "abc" in that directory along with another file "def" in the same.
I created a 0 byte file "abc" in the destination directory having -r-xr-xr-x access but no 0 byte file for "def".
Now the erie thing is I am able to copy "abc" to the destination directory but not able to copy the file "def".

Note:I log in as not the owner,but user of the group.
WHY???

I thought you were writing in the destination?

What are the permissions of "def" in the source directory?

Hi porter,

In both the cases i was trying to copy to the destination.

And the permission for "def" can be -rwxrwxrwx or -r-xr-xr-x,tried with both.
the directory where i wanted to copy def had -r-xr-xr-x.
Hope i gave ur reply.
thanks....and the reason please?

To copy stuff, you read from the source and write to the destination. Which of these operations do you think should require write permission on the source? I guess you have never copied anything from a CD?

Hi Perdorabo,
Thanks for you comments but in the second case I think you may have noticed that I am trying to copy to the destination which doesn't have the write permissions.
So in that case would the CD rule persist ?

How to make things simple?

How about "You need write permissions to write."

Nothing odd or strange going on.